Crashtheline

May 5, 2007
Just bought an 86 KDX200 as my first bike. It is so much fun and perfect amount of power for me... for now.

I went to change the oil and found the drain plug was stripped and was held in with like a metal threaded shim. And when i tightened it back up it ripped up the shim and i can't get it to stay.

So i went and bought a replacement bolt....it was the EXACT same bolt...but not the same bolt as Kawasaki's part list. So i was thinking it was the wrong bolt all together. So i went to Home Depot and bought a 1.75mm bolt and it fits only OK. I get a slight leak, but i rode with it and was fine.

My question is. Does anyone know what the regular sized bolt is? The first bolt was like a 1.25mm bolt. Also...what do i do if the crankcase is stripped? I heard there is a product i can use to fix that.

Thanks guys. Glad to be here.

low_e

Mar 27, 2007
Helicoil would be an option to fix the stripped hole, but it might get rather expensive. A much cheaper option would be to get self tapping, double-piggyback drain plug like this one. I had the same thing happen to my CR500 and I used one to fix it, worked like a charm. You can get the plugs at Pepb Boys and Napa for only a few dollars.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I think the original thread pitch is 10 x 1.50mm, but check some aftermarket drain plug manufacturer's website for details. Moose makes them, and MSR may also. There are several. Surely one would list the size, as it is one plug for MANY different Kawasakis.

Crashtheline

May 5, 2007
Thanks. I think the botl i put on was a M12.. if that makes sense.

I just finished up now. The bolt i bought from home depot was longer than the original so i added a nut to it as a spacer (so it wouldn't go too far in) Then i added a washer for a seal. It still leaked slightly so i added a rubber spacer before the metal washer so it would snug up. And so far no leaks!

How hot will the bottom of the crankcase get? I don't think it would melt a rubber spacer (usually they are quite heat resistant).

Thanks for the help guys

low_e

Mar 27, 2007
Crashtheline said:
Thank you! Any link to an example?

Yes, click on "this one" in my first post and it links to a picture. It's just hard to see the link for some reason.

Also, I have not had any trouble with the rubber ring melting on my CR500, and it can get plenty hot down there.

Top Bottom