1996KDX200

Apr 13, 2001
It was and still runs fine but it quit shifting. If you mess with it for a while you can get it to change gears and it will run strong in that gear but won't change without A LOT of effort. It did not have any problems before this like popping out of gear and this came on very quickly. Anyone got any ideas??? Thanks.

------------------

JimboBillyBob

Apr 18, 2001
I had a similar problem with an 85 V65 Sabre...it just wouldn't grab second no matter what. It ended up that the shifter fork was bent. I ended up trading it in as opposed to fixing it cause I don't do trannys.

In talking with several people, I found out that Honda had some wimpy shifter forks between 85 and 88 with most of the problems being on the V-4s (Magna & Sabre - for some reason, they used a different shifter material on the Interceptors).

For what it's worth,
JBB

Jim65

Apr 19, 2001
I just rebuilt the top and bottom end on my '85XR250. My problem was that it would not stay in gear.
The first thing I would check, is the shifter hitting the guard on the front sprocket? Sometimes a tooth on the shaft will strip and cause the shifter to hit. Check carefully because it is easy to miss.
If it's not a simple fix, you are probably stuck with splitting the cases and checking things out. Stuck shifting may mean that your shift drum is notched, but it would probalby shift with other gears. Other options are that you have a bent shift fork and it is causing the hangup. On your model, you have three of them. Another scenario is that the springs in the shifter are crapped out and somehow hanging things up.

If you decide to split the cases, drop me a line.

------------------

1996KDX200

Apr 13, 2001
Originally posted by Jim65:
I just rebuilt the top and bottom end on my '85XR250. My problem was that it would not stay in gear.
The first thing I would check, is the shifter hitting the guard on the front sprocket? Sometimes a tooth on the shaft will strip and cause the shifter to hit. Check carefully because it is easy to miss.
If it's not a simple fix, you are probably stuck with splitting the cases and checking things out. Stuck shifting may mean that your shift drum is notched, but it would probalby shift with other gears. Other options are that you have a bent shift fork and it is causing the hangup. On your model, you have three of them. Another scenario is that the springs in the shifter are crapped out and somehow hanging things up.

If you decide to split the cases, drop me a line.

Thanks, I guess. That is what I was afraid of, but I was hoping there was a simple answer none the less.

------------------

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
These motors do not have a reputation for gearbox problems. While you certainly can bend a shift fork or gearshift spindle (shiftshaft), it would certainly be crashed induced. For what you are describing I would venture to say you have a worn gearshift spindle, specifically the fork where it contacts the shift drum cam or star. It is also possible the shift drum cam (star), is working loose. I have seen both. These items are easily checked by removing the right sidecover and the clutch basket. I highly recomend you get a manual if this is a new venture. Like mentioned previously, I have also seen the shift lever rotating on the shaft (spindle), be a missed culprit. Spindle wear can be induced by heavy footed or large footed riders. My .02

------------------

1996KDX200

Apr 13, 2001
Originally posted by ochster:
These motors do not have a reputation for gearbox problems. While you certainly can bend a shift fork or gearshift spindle (shiftshaft), it would certainly be crashed induced. For what you are describing I would venture to say you have a worn gearshift spindle, specifically the fork where it contacts the shift drum cam or star. It is also possible the shift drum cam (star), is working loose. I have seen both. These items are easily checked by removing the right sidecover and the clutch basket. I highly recomend you get a manual if this is a new venture. Like mentioned previously, I have also seen the shift lever rotating on the shaft (spindle), be a missed culprit. Spindle wear can be induced by heavy footed or large footed riders. My .02

I've got my manual right here. Can you be a little more specific? Thanks. And yes, I am a little new to this. :)

------------------

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by ochster:
These motors do not have a reputation for gearbox problems. While you certainly can bend a shift fork or gearshift spindle (shiftshaft), it would certainly be crashed induced.

Or shifting without the aid of the clutch. We see bent shift forks on our m/x ridden XR's often.

I agree to check out the shift star first. It's the easiest to get at.

------------------
PJ

Top Bottom