87 CR125 Resto project - looking for tips, parts, etc.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I am finally getting around to redo-ing my old CR and was wondering if any of you guys out there who've done a restore project have any tips for me.

I know thats pretty general, but I was thinking along the lines of general things to look out for, parts I should make sure to replace even if they look OK, places to find parts, shops w/ a good rep for working on older bikes... any info would be helpful.

I plan to send the suspension components out, but I'll do the motor myself. I'm hoping I can reuse the main motor parts, but expect to have to replace parts. Any tips on reliable parts suppliers for these 80s Hondas?

Also, I'd really like to clean up the frame. Anyone know where I could find that old Honda orange-red paint??

TIA for any tips you guys can throw my way...

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Thats great. Thanks for the info. I looked at one of those online microfisches but there was no option for older bikes. I guess I'll have to take a look around locally or maybe at one of the big distributors.

Thanx.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
yamahaoftroy website has a microfiche and should have most any part that you need. I used to have an 87 cr125 and it was definitely a cool bike, especially when you'd pass kids on brand new bikes. But thats where I used to order all my stuff from and just checked it and seems they still have everything. Good luck.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Hey, thanks Glitch!! Thats a great tip!! I'll definitely pop on there and look around. Nice to know I can get these parts pretty easy.

Thanks a ton for the input!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
There's a ton of Vintage/Post Vintage sites that offer what you need - just do a search using keywords like EVO, vintage, post vintage, etc. I've done a few bikes now and am currently working on two 1979 Maicos. I found that PJ1 paint works pretty good for a rattle can. They also have a clear epoxy top coat. I see they list a 88-89 Honda Red P/N 53-6050. I would expect that to be close for most apps. I used a similar color on a 1982 CR125 once (with a clear topcoat). A step up would be to find a paint chip under an area that's not faded and have it matched with an automotive paint. You could spray that. Another guy I know used a two part marine (boat) epoxy sprayed on. The upside is it's tough as nails, but it's fairly dangerous without good ventilation/respiration gear. The last choice (for me) would be powdercoating. It's nice for a show bike or one that's not getting abused (like a dirtbike). If you chip the powdercoat it's harder to make a nice repair as is with paint. Lot's of choices, good luck.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I will definitely do a search and see what I turn up. That is some great info and provides some good avenues to think about going. Yeah, a friend was recommending against powder coating since I plan to ride the thing. I'd really like the bike to look sharp once I'm finally finished w/ it though. Maybe a paint chip would be good.

While I'm thinking about it, do you have any advice/opinions on painting the motor?? As you know, those came black from the factory. My motor is in pretty good shape, but I don't know how much will be usable. What have you done in the past? Rattle can it w/ heat resistant from the auto parts store?? Maybe there is moto specific?? A commercial process?? I guess I have more research to do... heh... any input there?? TIA.

BTW, love to see a pic of those Maicos when you finish!!

Thanks for the input!

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Duplicolor DE 1607 Chevrolet Orange-Red is a reasonable match. Definately not exact though. I painted the entire frame with it and it looks o.k. It is a high temp engine paint.

I found Service Honda had good prices, but their part lookup was a little cumbersome, and shipping was a little inconsistent. Local shops should be able to source any OE parts that are still available...most should be available.

Last edited:

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Great input!! Thanks Zoommx! Thanks Dennis!! I was thinking of automotive paint that might match that orange-reddish Honda paint of old; before they went deep red. I'll have a look at the Dupli-color. DM-that is almost unbelievable they had those parts in stock. That site is already book-marked so I can head straight in once I get the motor apart.

Really appreciate the feedback guys. I'm trying to get my ducks-in-a-row as it were so this doesn't end up like lots of projects as a pile of parts that slowly migrates to the back of the garage... and so it ends up as a clean, crisp machine!!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Flash red is Honda paint code R-119, I believe. Call auto paint store and see if they can mix it. Some can and some can't mix honda motorcycle paint codes.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
This was given as a flash red recipe:
http://rapidshare.com/files/115835508/DuPont_-_Flash_Red_Recipe.pdf

DuPont Performance Coatings
Date Jul 28, 2004
Formula Standard # 467271 Formulation Date Oct 18, 1993
Old Stock # / Alt # H9995 / 0 Paint Code R-119
Color Name FLASH RED Lead (Pb) Free Y
Effect N PCP N
US Color Variance Quality K - CHROMABASE BC
Color Owner HONDA MOTORCYCLES Value Shade 1
Price Cost Code - VOC - Activated 0
VOC As Packaged 4.89 VOC Less Exempt 5.56
QC # 241027
Ingredients
Quantity To Mix
1 PINT (100.0% Fill)
Ingredient Display
Units GRAMS
Ingredient Ingr
Quality
Description Amount Accum. Amount
843 J BRIGHT YELLOW 166.6 166.6
850 J BRILLIANT RED 37.0 203.6
801 J HS WHITE 8.3 211.9
150 K B/C BALANCER 233.0 444.9
Code Region Language Text
35 UNITED STATES ENGLISH VALUESHADE #1
35 UNITED STATES FRENCH VALUESHADE #1
Page 1 of 1
http://

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Hey Thanks 2Tfun. Though my bike is in pretty good condition, the paint will be nice icing on the cake, but I'll only do it if I can find a close match.

Great info here though (and on my other post of my bottom end rebuild questions)

Thanx!

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
Check your water pump side cover. I'm helping a buddy on his 84' cr125 and the right hand cover were the water pump is, in that general area, there are holes every where. They wear out eventually, we tried locating one but no luck, they have all developed that problem a guy at the salvage yard told us. We welded ours, it has worked well sofar. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
The 82-85s had that problem because of magnesium/aluminum electrolysis combined with people running tap water in the system. Virtually all of those ended up looking like miniature swiss cheese. A lot of people use an epoxy fill for a fix. Read several times of people talking about small-lot production of replacement parts, but I've never seen anyone follow through. I think this problem was corrected by 1987, but I'd look at it closely anyway.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Great tip sm7482!! I will definitely keep my eyes open for issues on the right side case; particularly in the area of the water pump. Hopefully that problem was fixed by the time Honda got to my 87.

The 86 bottom end I have been practicing on had a lot of crusty mineral deposits, but I didn't see holes. I'll look again more closely on the next tear down (hopefully last on the practice bottom end!)

While this is on my mind... is there an accepted standard for cleaning out the radiators?? I was thinking about it the other day. Should I just rinse 'em w/ distilled h2o or is there chem cleaning or other process that anyone knows of?? Just wondering....

Again, more questions to come. Thansk again for the input!

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
they are minature radiators, you can probally take em to a radiator shop and have em boil it clean for you. It would probally be really cheap since there probally not even 1/4 the size of the radiators they work with.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for the tip sm7482. I'll look into it. I really don't know much about what sorts of services auto rad. shops offer, so that seems like it might be an interesting place to start.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
they also make radiater flushes aimed at motoercycle radiaters. you'll never get them "like new" clean but theres methods you can use. since your doing a restoration you'll probally end up painting them too. spray a light coating on the radiater fins, you wouldnt want to build that up to much. good luck. are you located in california by chance

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I'll take a look at the shop and see what they have for the home flush situation. Cosmetically they are in pretty good shape, but I may want to dust them w/ some black paint. I'll definitely keep it light though :)

Yeah. In CA. Bay Area.

mike19

Sep 10, 2008
www.bikebandit.com has oem parts and aftermarket parts all the way to 1959 on honda motorcycles and it will pull up diagrams for that year bike and give you part numbers on every part on your bike. i know cause i have a 1989 kx 125 and that website is really helpfull

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Great tip Mike19! That should come in handy. I'm relieved to find out that there seem to be a few places that have these parts, so if one doesn't have a particular part, the next may. I love the on-line microfishe diagrams too. For you guys that have been doing this for years before internet proliferation... my hat is off to you!

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Wow! That thing looks showroom!! Great example!

Mine has been pretty well kept but I doubt it will come out as nice as his. Looks like he might be a good source for parts... and maybe a question or two if I get stuck. Thanks for the link.

I'm getting closer to tear-down, but still trying to aggregate parts so the motor portion can go as smoothly as possible... hopefully quickly too. I don't want it to lay around the work bench for too long in pieces. Always bad when that happens... hope to post a progress report in a couple weeks.

Top Bottom