87 CR250 rear shock and other question

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
I joined awhile back for the just kdx section because I was thinking of buying a kdx200... Still have not bought one and I have found what I think might be a good deal on a cr250... I know its a 2 stroke 250, has lots of power but the handling could be better... At least thats what I've read so far.

Problem is the guys says it needs the rear mono-shock rebuilt... My local dealer said the oldest model they could get a rebuild kit for was 89.

My question are:
The bike is selling for $600... The owner claims it runs great but the shock needed rebuilding and the front tire was flat (I am goign to assume that means it needs replacing not that its just flat otherwise he would have just filled it up)... If I can get him down to $400-500 is it a good deal?

How hard will it be to get the rebuild kit for the back shock? will the one from an 89 work?

Any special tools are skills required to rebuild and set up the shock?

I am a competent mechanic, I have most common hand and power tools at my house (as well as a welder) and almost anything I could want I can borrow from work. HOWEVER this is my first bike... I got a jeep for offroading I wrench on regularily as well as my DD. Is a $500 bike and the assosiated work that it will inevitably need gonna be too much for me to handle?

Thanks guys... Hopefully I am in the right forum for these sorts of questions.

PS. If it helps to give adivce on if I should buy this thing:
I am about 6 foot, weight 160 and I love speed and power... Locally there are many different types of trails and terrain so there will be a wide variety... No racing or motorcross for now... Just trail riding. I have ridden plenty of bikes and 4 wheelers... Just never owned one.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I would simply call a shock rebuilder "Too Tech Suspension" or "Factory Connection" and just ask if they can rebuild your shock. Shock rebuilding isn't something you do in your garage because it requires highly compressed nitrogen and black magic to do. Seriously, getting your shock rebuilt properly is something worth paying for, so just make a call and see if they can help you. I'd only pay max $500 IF you can get the shock rebuilt.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Got the nitrogen part down... We have it in any pressure imaginable in 3000 gallon tanks of crygenic liquid here :D

Black magic?... Um.. Not so much... I will give them a call and see if they can do it.

Thanks.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
The guy with "too tech suspension" was very helpful and told me they can do it no problem but the cost was $160!!!!

Seems exspensive for something as small as a dirt bike shock... LOL... Is this a normal price or would it push the bike into "not worth it" territory?

Also: Any other general thoughts or advice about this bike? I might go look at it tonight so a list of stuff to check out would be nice as well

Thanks

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Hmm... So not out of this world. I was kind of thinking since it was so old the parts cost more or something.

I have also lined up a deal on a 90 model KX250... This one runs and works (I guess) but the guy is being INSANLY vague in his emails so I am trying to get his phone number so I can just arrange a time to go look at it. He wants $750 for this one. Better deal? Its about the same after the shock rebuild but is the KX a better bike?
Incidentally my neighbor is trying to sell me a sport quad of some sort as well so I will be looking at this weekend also...

Decision, decisions...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
$160 is right in the ball park. I have had suspension work done by Too Tech in the past and it was really done well. Easy to deal with and I liked the final results. I'm sure there are other places that will come in with slightly different prices and you just want to go with who you feel most comfortable with.

BTW, both of the bikes you are looking at are good machines. I seem to remember that most of the magazines at that time recommended revalving the KX shock which would cost you that $160 bucks or so. You will enjoy either bike.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Hate to say it, but there is a better than 50 percent chance the rear shock on any used bike you buy should probably be rebuilt. $160 isn't bad at all. Price a new one. Ouch.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks guys.

I will be looking at the bikes this weekend and let you you know what I decide to get...

I would kind of rather have a dirt bike but the quad is from a guy I know and trust not to mention he is in a bind and needs the money...

Maybe I will buy the quad, ride it for awhile and then sell it and buy a bike.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Thought I'd jump in here on this one and weigh in quickly since I recently completed my first shock rebuild on a 1987 CR125. I don't know if they are both KYB units, as sometimes back then Honda would spec Showa components for the 250 and 500, but KYB for the 125. Regardless, they must be similar spec.

First off... why does it need to be rebuilt? Is it leaking oil? Won't hold nitrogen? Sagging? Many parts can be ordered directly from Honda, but you likely cannot get the piston, seal or bushing. However, you may be able to get them from a KYB or Showa distributor. I didn't need those parts which weren't available through Honda, but found that Factory Connection had a bumper for me, and, later discovered that Rate Tech has LOADS of parts for these. I'd say contact Race Tech and ask them first.

Secondly, with the factory manual it was a pretty do-able job, but there are some sticking points which ended up eating a lot of time. I think you could do it yourself, but you'll definately need a manual (the factory manual, not the Clymer one which didn't have enough detail on the shock). That said, $160 for a full rebuild I think would be worth it... and as another poster mentioned, 99% of used bikes need or at least could use a shock rebuild anyways.

Lastly, those are fun bikes. If you get the CR, I think you'll enjoy it!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
$.02

Both bikes are old. The 87 CR250 is considered one of the best bikes ever, but 23 years is usually not kind on any bike. Manufacturers start discontinuing parts older than mid 90s currently.

The late 80s CRs use magnesium side cases that rot out and are VERY hard to find.

You would be better off saving another $500-1000 and find a late 90s bike (you can find them for under 2k all day long in really good shape!). You can find them all day long like a 98-00 CR250 or KX250. Any bike in this price range will need some TLC and $ to fix up. Chain, sprockets, plastic, bars, grips, levers, cables and a new top/bottom end to be safe. So take your time and shop

For the tire, they have tubes in them. replace the tube.

Top Bottom