patdalton

Apr 4, 2013
When i shift down it will go into gear but then the shifter will stay in the down position its not tight it just feels sloppy and loose....Like if i shift down to 3rd it will go into gear but the the shifter will stay down and in order to shift down yet again to 2nd i will first have to pull up on the shifter then push down to get into second.....but shifting up seems to be OK please help ...... i have 2 weeks to order parts then go pest bear hunting far up north hunting i dont want to be the "bitch" on the back of someones bike

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My guess is you have a problem with the shift shaft return spring, like it has popped out of place.

The shift shaft extends all the way through the motor to the right side. The return spring is under the right side cover. To get to it, you need to drain the transmission oil, and pull the right side cover.

If you don't have a shop manual, go to www.buykawasaki.com and search for a parts diagram for your bike, so you can see where all the parts go.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On my '84, the return spring kept popping out of place until I put some washers underneath it. I put the washers between the center case and the return spring, pushing the spring closer to the side cover.

Without the washers, the spring would slide toward the center case, and spin on the shaft. When the spring spins, the shift shaft does not return.

Attached is an image for the parts diagrams for your bike from www.buykawasaki.com If the spring at the right is broken or spinning on the shaft when the side cover is in place, that is most likely your problem.

Attachments

• Print=1&cNodeID=5 image.jpg
    Print=1&cNodeID=5 image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've also had a few kxs with worn shift shafts where the shift lever clamps on. Check the splines where shifter slides on too.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Joe makes a good point - it could be the splines worn on the shift lever or the shift shaft.

Replacing the shift shaft would be a big hassle, but there would be other ways to improve the fit by sharpening the splines, replacing the shifter, or getting the old shifter to clamp tighter.

patdalton

Apr 4, 2013
is this the return spring?

if the image in the digram numbered 92081A/2114 is the return spring then that is deff my problem

Top Bottom