Status
Not open for further replies.

fadingfastsd

Sep 7, 2005
I posted this thread in the General Repair forum, but I saw this and it applies too, so I put it here also. I hope thats alright.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to dirtbikes in general. I bought my first bike about 2 months ago, a 79 Suzuki TS 125 which was good to learn to ride and work on. I sold that this weekend and just bought a 1988 Honda CR 250. It is in excellent shape, really clean with a recent engine rebuild and and a big bore kit so its' really a 300cc, and a Pro Series exhaust pipe with an FMF silencer. I bought it not running, but the previous owner said he had it running last season. The bike has great compression, but I can't get it to start!!. I was told when I bought it that it was an electrical problem. I traced the problem to the plug cap, and fixed that. Its now getting spark, but it still seems pretty weak. (I'm comparing this to my old Suzuki, which when kicked over with the plug out and grounded on the engine would make a big fat blue spark!) I'm using a brand new plug in the bike. The previous owner thought it might be coil. I'll be doing an electrical test on the whole system as soon as I get my clymer guide tomorrow. But it is sparking some so I think the CDI and coil are ok. I've been told it could be the stator, or the gap btwn the stator and magneto? I need a puller tool to remove the magneto to check the stator, so I'll hopefully take care of that soon. I've checked the kill switch, and that is working fine.

I took the carb apart today and cleaned it thoroughly. I took it to my neighbor, a carb expert, and he checked the floats and says it looks great, so I don't believe its a carb problem.
Now I've been kicking the hell out of it, and its making a backfiring/coughing noise every 10 kicks or so.

It had a paddle tire on the back, so I havent been able to try and running start it. I'm changing the tires tomorrow, so I'll give that a shot and see if it'll start like that.

What else should I do!!!??? Any ideas and help are greatly appreciated, I need to get this thing running for the start of the season!!
Thanks in advance!

Also is there any good Honda dirtbike or CR specific message boards or forums? I havent been able to find one!

Thanks!
Evan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please do not post thee same topic in more than one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom