88 KDX Flywheel: repair, replace, options?

Maddog355

Mar 29, 2009
Ok one of the magnets in my flywheel broke, I tried to epoxy it back together but it will not fire. So what are my options? I have searched the board and all I can come up with is.

1: Try to find a used one.
2: Buy a new one $$$$.
3: Get a tecate one and have a new keyway cut in it.
4 ???????: I have seen a couple of posts that sugest the flywheel may can be repaired. I did see one post that said Fredette could replace the magnets. Anyone know if this is a option?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
no they wont repair magnets.... fredette will sell you a 95-06 kdx flywheel and conversion stator plate you must send them you stator plate.
look at their site and then catolog and then electrical...hey there is no pictures ...read down the list of parts........ you will find it ....there you go

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I vote for trying option #3.

The rotors are the #1 death touch for those general year KDX's. The 1989 and newer full-sized KDX's (KDX200, KDX220R and KDX250) all have a metal cover over the inner portion of the magnets.

Maddog355

Mar 29, 2009
newer model flywheel???

Does anyone know if a newer model flywheel is the same size, Could I just have a new keyway cut in it like the Tecate flywheel?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yes it willl fit ......but how to tell where the slot needs to be???/

like I said frp has got that figuered out and reslots the stator plate so it will work with the 1995-2006 model flywheel.
So if you want to just figuer out where to make new holes in YOUR stator plate to fix timing right. FRP is not going to tell you how to do it either I've tried asking!!

Top Bottom