csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking into fixing my kdx, I bought it about 3 years back and rode the heck out of it, and I was thinking about it today and it deserves some love.

there are a few parts I need, and I have not been able to find them, so i figured I might be able to find someone on here with them.

First off, when i got the bike, I started looking on this forum, read that taking the airbox covor off helps a lot.

Problem is, I took the big side covor off, and I lost it.

I cant find one anywhere, and I couldn't even find a picture to show you what i meant, its the big triangle like piece that has 3 twist screws to take off, gives you access to the air filter.

Also the shock is blown out, I was wondering were I can purchase a rebuild kit, or if anyone has a spare one laying around, let me know.

Just thought I might put a little money into this thing. It was a good bike and I think it deserves it.

thanks guys!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, almost all the parts from an '86 and '87 will interchange with your '88.

As for the cover to the airbox, the design is similar if not identical to the earlier KDX's, like the '83 - '85. I doubt if those years would work, but they might.

You could make custom replacement air box cover from a sheet of black plastic and just attach it with some small bolts or screws. Put a little grease on the airbox where it mates with the cover, and it would probably work fine.

As for rebuilding the shock, the labor part is not really rocket science, but there are some tricks and twists to it if you try to do it yourself. Might be best to call Fredette Racing Products and see if they can rebuild it, sell you a used one or direct you to a source for parts. You could easily spend $200+ getting a few parts replaced and having a professional rebuild.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
well I called a friend today, and it turns out he found the covor, i left it at his house a few years back.

Tonight I took the bike totally apart, everything actually looks really good mechanically, except some bushing in the suspention. If there are any links to rebuild kits that would be awesome

Besides that the shock is the only other problem, maybe ill email or call the kdx man!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
seal head for the rear shock in 2010 parts unlimited off road catolog by moose racing #1314-0047 for $37.95

the seal is easy to replaced

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Ive seen the seal head for sale a couple places, is that the only replaceable seal in the shock?

If i replace that, fill it with oil and have it charged with nitrogen, is that all that needs to be done?

thanks guys!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Might be as simple as that if you are lucky.

One benefit of a professional service is they will inspect the other parts, like the shaft, the bladder, the body, etc... If the bike does not have too many hours, you are probably OK on the big ticket items.

As a general rule, the stock shocks on the old KDXs worked alot better than the forks, so I would say a revalve is optional. But my guess is Fredette would have the info on how to get the most out of it.

You might also consider replacing the bumper on the shock shaft if you have it all apart. Not a big deal, though, IMO.

Good luck! Those '88s are a lot of fun. That motor has a lot of top end for a little air cooled 200.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Im getting it ready for a friend that is looking to get into bikes, seems like a good one.

I have the shock, but getting it rebuild professionally is a pretty expensive thing to have done, I was looking at his rates.

There not bad, but for a bike this old.

Maybe I could find a used one that was known to be alright for cheaper, or when i get it apart it might look fine, and that top seal would do it.

I guess its hard to say, first shock ive taken apart.

ALSO! another question, I dont honestly like the look of the rear fender, the big toolbox light one, any newer style modern rear fenders that fit? maybe front aswell?

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
csdwarf said:
ALSO! another question, I dont honestly like the look of the rear fender, the big toolbox light one, any newer style modern rear fenders that fit? maybe front aswell?

I had the same bike. The generic/universal rear fender from UFO fits right in. Just drill the holes. It looked much better than the stock one. I never replaced the front fender.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
as long as your shock shaft is not rusty and is nice and smooth you should rebuild it yourself with the seal kit...its so easy you wont believe.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Shaft is not rusty, so maybe a seal kit will work.

I found a few seal kits online, but it says they only include the aluminum seal head, and a clip.

Does that sound right? its only like 30$ so if that fixed it, it would be awesome.

Ill check out fenders

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yes the alumonum seal head has the seals made into it and the clip holds it from coming out.

all you have to do is remove the spring, relieve the pressure in the shock, clean up around the base of the shock making certain the surface of the inside is really clean and smooth, push down on the seal head and pop the clip out then just pull the shaft out and seal head will come with...the rest is grinding the mushroomed threads away from the bolt that holds the shim stack together, removing the nut and shim stack (keep everything in order and clean) then remove the old seal head and put new on on and assemble, fill with oil, bleed air off and have in charged with nitrogen

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for all of the help, so far ive had good luck finding parts, and everything is comming together nicely.

I need a new clutch cable, and am able to find that fine. But in the process of the clutch cable breaking, I lost the adjuster part. There is a round (approx 1 inch diameter) adjuster lock nut, and another peice that is like a screw.

Its hard to explain. but I cant find a picture.

Its the peice where you adjust your clutch, and oem babbittsonline says its not available.

Maybe it would be the same from another bike. or clutch lever or something.

Thanks guys!

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I was not able to find a proper guide to do it, I saw a few very breif clip on youtube that didnt help much and from there I just ripped into it.

I have not refilled mine yet, but I understand the process is based around getting all of the air out of the system, basically you want everything full of oil, everything.

with very little air.

fill the bladder to about 5 psi of air, then put the oil in with as little air as possible.

after fill you bladder up to 100 psi or so, then test it, see if its acting like a shock.

Top Bottom