Kx 125 not running right. Any ideas?

• I dont know what this means. lol

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I still don't know what this means. lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

motoxracr

May 10, 2007
I bought a used (obviously) 1988 kawasaki kx 125 about 6 months ago, and it wont run hardly at all. I can usually get it started pretty easy, but as soon as i get into to first gear it barely moves. Sometimes if i push it a little it will move and start gaining speed (very slowly!) and even then it doesn't have any bottom end power. I was thinking that the clutch was slipping so i opened it up and replaced the clutch plates. It worked for maybe 10 rides but now its starting to do the same thing before I replaced the plates. I replaced the clutch springs when I replaced the plates, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I haven't taken it to the shop yet, mostly cuz im sorta short on money. I've looked at the clutch basket and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I replaced the spark plug when I was first starting to have problems. I wouldn't say im a great mechanic (since this is the only thing ive worked on), but i dont mind taking it apart. I also have the manual for this bike. If anyone has any suggestions please voice it. I'm hoping i can go riding with a friend in like 2 or 3 weeks and i really would like to get this running.

thnx

by the way i didn't mean to have a poll.

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Have you adjusted the free play in your clutch lever? The manual should describe the procedure. Is there anything binding up in the clutch? Does the cam connected to the cable and the pushrod move freely?

motoxracr

May 10, 2007
I checked the measurement on the freeplay for the clutch and adjusted it to what the manual said. When I opened it up everything looked like it was ok. The pushrod seemed like it was moving freely also. One thing I forgot to mention was that about 3 weeks ago a bolt came loose and was moving around inside the clutch. I opened it up after that and it scratched the surface on the clutch hub. Do you think that would make a difference? It wasn't running right before that though. One question though. When I replaced the clutch springs the clutch lever was extrememly hard to pull back, no matter how I adjusted the lever. Do you know if this is normal with new clutch springs?

thanks for you input.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Make sure the washers and spacers and bearings are in their proper place.The inner hub nut must be torqued precisely.No grooves or notches in the basket or outer hub,the hub faces are not sharp or grooved.The stiffer spring feel could be your others were weaker,or something is not installed properly.Some clutch hubs are particular about alignment of the hubs,they only go together one way.That is one funky clutch setup!I am very glad I am addicted to honda's much better clutches.Read through the manual again,maybe you missed something,some the plates have to be in alignment also.

motoxracr

May 10, 2007
Well with the scratches, like i said the hub is scratched but it wasn't running right before that soooo. The shop wants like $500 to work on it. but i only spent $800 on the whole bike, so im wondering if i should part it out and sell it,(it has almost new tires), and save up for a newer better running one. any1 got any comments on if i should part it out and sell it or not?

thnx for your input whenfoxforks-ruled

Top Bottom