Dr Rockso

Oct 15, 2007
hey , this is my first post on here . i just picked up an 88 yz125 , some of it was partially taken apart and most of the parts were thrown away just to make it fun for me . anyway i'm not sure what all i'm missing power valve wise and thought maybe someone on here would know .

sorry about the crappy pic , the little plate at the end of the power valve arm is actually 2 plates , the outer one has a complete circle hole in it , the plate on the back has a hole with flat sides like i drew on the pic . it fits the power valve shaft but not very tightly , i'm sure i'm missing a spacer or something but when i look on the diagram on bike bandit it looks a little different , not to mention it doesn't even show a nut on the end of the power valve , i don't see how else you'd hold it on without a nut since the end of the power valve is threaded . if anyone knows anything about these please let me know .

also if anyone has a spare kick starter they're willing to part with please let me know , i have the top half but not the part that goes on the shaft .

Dr Rockso

Oct 15, 2007
ok , well it won't let me post a pic for some reason so here is the link , remove the *'s

ht*tp://i20.photo*bucket.c*om/albums/b243/The_Bondo_Bandit/1-5.jpg*

awhtx

Oct 10, 2007
Look at the parts diagram labeled "Governor". You will find the nut and some other parts there.
FWIW- I prefer to use the parts diagrams on mrcycles. (Add the appropriate prefix and suffix.) They have the same diagrams as bikebandit but they use the OEM part number instead of some fictitious part number like bikebandit.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Okay, I have attached a portion of the parts diagram that shows the parts.

In your photo, the main part that you are pointing to slips over the power valve shaft and rotates freely on it. The part behind it, identified as "1" in the parts diagram, engages the power valve shaft and the governer lever. You need a nut and a washer to hold the stack onto the power valve shaft. The nut should tighten down on the shoulder of the power valve shaft and NOT make the levers tight.

What I am confused about is that the part that is identified as "1" looks odd in the picture. Perhaps the lack of focus and the angle is making it look funny, but if it doesn't look like the parts diagrahm then you will probably need to replace it. Should be about $10.

Do you have all the covers that enclose the assembly?

Rod

Attachments

• power_valve_lever.JPG
    power_valve_lever.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,307

Dr Rockso

Oct 15, 2007
yeah , i have all that stuff , i didn't know they split up the diagrams like that , when you look at the one for the cylinder it just shows a spacer , an o ring , and some weird dowell thing ,which i still don't see where it would go unless it's the dowell for adjusting the power valve

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
your probably better off buying a new or nearly new bike than to fix on up that is that old,,i did an 89yz,,one thing let to another, and next thing you know,, you got 3 grand in the bike...

Dr Rockso

Oct 15, 2007
if you want to buy me a new bike i'll gladly take it , if not then the $200 88 yz will have to do . it's like $30 from being a running riding bike , only reason the side was apart was because the PO broke the part on the side cover that holds the clutch cable , he got a new one and never pulled out the locating pins , sold it because he couldn't get the new cover on . if he'd put all the nuts and bolts in a bag i wouldn't have to buy anything for it ....except a front master cylinder (busted lever mount) but i already put a post in the wanted section so we'll see how that goes .

DCP01646.jpg

Top Bottom