89 & 97 KDX200 Rear Brake Holder Interchangable?

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
After washing my bike down after a weekend of riding I found that I'd broken an engine mount, and a friend of mine also noticed that my rear brake holder was cracked. Would I be right in assuming it's made from die-cast and unweldable?
1997 Part number is: 43044-1114
1989 Part number is: 43044-1084

It's official title according to the Kawasaki website is HOLDER-COMP-CALIPER

It's the part that the axle goes through, and also has a slot which slides on the swingarm lug. Pictures below.

turningbase(dot)com(dot)au/images/misc/kdx200e1_rbd-b.gif
turningbase(dot)com(dot)au/images/misc/kdx200h3_rbd-b.gif

My bike is a 97 model, though I've found a cheap rear brake setup from an 89 model, which was the first of the rear disc models. Using the Kawasaki website, I've discovered that the caliper holder, which goes between the caliper and the part I need is the same on both models. Does anyone know what the exact specs are of the 89 model HOLDER-COMP-CALIPER? They look pretty similar in their function, though are all the vital measurements the same? Is the axle on the 89 the same diameter as the 97? It appears to act like a bush of some sort between the rear wheel hub and swingarm. Is the width of both parts the same?

Thanks for any info you can provide...
Tony

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I'll try to eyeball it tonight in my garage. I'll reply what I can see. I have one of each sitting right next to each other. I have a '90 KDX and a '99 KDX. Maybe I can help based on what I see. OK?

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
That'd be great Timr.
It's being sold this morning, so any help you can give would be super fantastic!

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Sorry for the delayed response. I did go down and check them out. They are very similar, but not exactly the same. I hope that helps some.

Tim

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks so much for checking it out Tim... that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to from the diagrams. How did they go for width? Was the part that the axle goes through (acts like a spacer of some sort) the same width on both?

I ended up buying it, though haven't received it yet... as soon as I find out it it'll work I'll post back to the forum for everyone's benefit... hopefully this won't end up being another one of those expensive lessons I need to learn... :ohmy:

Cheers,
Tony

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
To save a long winded post... based on the responses, I went out on a whim and bought the 89 part.

Good news is for once it was a simple procedure and it fits just like the original... when I had it sitting in place, I thought the slot was too big as it was sloppy, though I checked it against the original and it was just the same. Once tightened up it's as good as gold!

For once something finally worked in my favour... pity the bike didn't recover from it's drowning just as easy the other day... took forever to get it going again... but that's a separate post.

So... the conclusion I've come to after all this? The rear caliper and entire braking system appears to be usable across the entire disc brake version range? i.e. from 89 onwards.
From everyone else's experience, would you agree? Any input would be great... as it'd save being restricted to 95 models and above for these parts...

Thanks for everyone's input... Hope this post helps another too!

Cheers,
Tony

Top Bottom