KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I have a chance to buy a '89 cr 500. All i want to do with it is ride at my local mx track is this a good choice for that? OK I am a little worried about the power but...Since it is a little older wont it have about the same power as a '99 CR 250 I rode that and was comfortable with the power. I really just want it to handle decently and jump great. I have a '85 KDX 200 and am gonna sell it b/c I am really into this mx stuff. If they dont hanldl good or jump good please tell me. Also what is the reliability like? I can start my bike very easily so I think I can start one of them what do you think? Thanks.

Matt

Anssi

May 20, 2001
KAWA200'sRule said:
Since it is a little older wont it have about the same power as a '99 CR 250 I rode that and was comfortable with the power.

No. This is like asking since the Ferrari F40 is a little older won't it have about the same power as a Lotus Elise.

Neither will it handle nicely nor jump great (unless you meant great distances). It will go like a bat out of hell, though.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Can you ride a bull?

Man, a 500 2-stroke anything from any year is like riding an untamed animal unless you really know what you're doing. I would look at a 250. But the suspension on that bike I doubt will be very accomodating. I have a 91 CR250 and those shocks are pretty jolting.

A CR500 is a beast!! :debil:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Matt:
I have owned several of the CR500's through the years and can tell you first hand - there is NO comparison between the 250's and the 5's!! My FAVORITE CR500 was my 89 (never owned one of the aluminum framed from Service Honda though). Here are some points to ponder from my experience with them...
1. They can be VERY finicky to start!! I was goign thru 4 pair of boots per year when riding the big CR's (I ride ALOT though).
2. My 89 like to eat base gaskets - it would back fire while starting and pop the base gasket.
3. The mono liked to break at the bottom - the hole for the rebound adjustment was to cut to close to the edge of the flange.
4. Being a bigbore they do viborate more and things need to be kept tight..
5. They are NOT a high rev motor - a rider coming from a 250 or even worst a 125 has to learn to short shift to REALLY enjoy the 500. You use your tranny less and higher gears more!
6. The CR500 never came powervalved so by design they lack the smoothness in thier power curve that they could have had (I now ride the big KX and it is totally different - it has powervalves).
7. The close ratio tranny in the CR can be difficult to work with. Gear it up to widen the trans and you have to use your clutch ALOT for real slow stuff, gear it down to stock stuff and you run out of gears real fast!!
I understand your comment about the bike being older so there shouldnt be that big of difference between the old 5 and a new 250. I raced/rode (HARD) the early model 30 horse CR250M Honda Elsinores and know that the new 125's have way more ponies then those bikes did. However, ALOT of R $ D has gone into 2 stroke tech during those years (1973 to 2004) and the same HASNT happened from 89 to 04.
Now the other side of the coin.. Owning/riding a big bore 2 stroke is something that you simply must do to apprectiate them - the old saying of "there is NO replacement for displacement" definitly appies! Some day people will look back and say "I wish I would have had one of those machines when they were around".
I sold my last CR500 3 years ago - it was a 93 - decent scoot - sold for $1300. I would think that $800/$1000 for a rideable 89 would be in the ball park....
Woodsy

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. Thanks for telling me about the suspension too b/c all I'm doing is riding mx so I want a good suspension so a harsh suspension is no good to me or a too soft suspension for that matter. I was going to pay about $1000 for it and its in great condition, but somebody bought it before I got it. I am going to sell my KDX 200 that is in great condition for about 8 or 900 dollars. It has brand new tires,chain,sprocket,plastics all around and new grips. I went on kelley blue book it said its worth about 800 bucks. I just put like 2 or 300 dollars atleast so I figure 900 dollars is reasonable asking price. What do you guys think about that.

Top Bottom