xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
I am looking at an 89 CR250 that is in need of a good bit of TLC to bring back to good riding condition. I have just a few questions for you all out there.....

If I were to buy this bike just to fix it up and sell it, what do you think it would sell for in a restored condition? I would make the bike really nice.

This bike is stock. In my earlier days, I rode an 89 CR250, that was a friend of mines, that had factory suspension and motor. It was fast as he!!. It was faster than my stock 92' KX250. My question is, how will this stock CR ride and handle? I am thinking of keeping it and turning into a good woods bike. Selling my current XR400 and riding the old CR.
What are your thoughts on that?

Last question. Getting parts for a bike that old should not pose a problem, right? If you think that parts could be a problem, please let me know.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I had an 89 CR 250. The motor ripped, but it was peaky by today's standards. The suspension was very harsh in stock trim, meaning it would take alot of $ to make it woods friendly. For trails, I'd rather keep the sweet 03 XR 400 than ride a 15 year old motocrosser that sounds like its been neglected.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
You are probably right, it would take more money to make it a good woods bike than what the bike would be worth. I may still get it but only if I can get really cheap. It would make a good project bike. Something to tinker with.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this old CR?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
It's not worth a single bit of your money. Especially if you already have a good woods bike. Do some pricing on things like cylinder plating/ top end work, clutch basket ...I'll stop right there because those two things would already put you at more $$ than the bike is worth. Then you've got your suspension work and other goodies to smooth out the motor for a woods appeal.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I had one. That was the first year for the upside down forks on the CR250. It was harsh.

You should have no problem getting engine parts, though, because that motor shares many parts with the one for the TRX250R that was *the* quad to race for many years (last year they made them).

I agree with the others...not worth the money to fix up. If you got it in perfect condition, it might then be worth $1200, but it might take more than that to get it there.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Ditto what Gomer said, the forks were EXTREMELY harsh. I just sold mine last year. I only got about $900 out of it and that was after putting about $600 in it. New cylinder, piston/rings, bearings, oring chain, FMF pipe silencer. Nothing wrong with it at all. You may be able to get more in your area tho, but i seriously doubt it would be worth it. It also goes through clutch plates like mad in stock form. I added an extra plate which help tremendously but made it very stiff.

GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
Ive got an '89 CR250 right now and hate the thing. It vibrates worst than anybike ive ever rode but its got Doug Harvey suspension which is very nice. I bought the bike in Jacksonville, FL and brought it back to Alabama. So it needs to be rejeted cause it fouls plugs left and right. Sellin though cause I cant aford to keep it running.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
Thanks for your input guys. I was really begining to think that it would not be worth messing with and you guys just backed up my thinking.

Top Bottom