89 kdx motor left for 1 year in a shed will it still work???????

tomcat

Dec 2, 2002
I brought a 89 kdx 200 of guy who has owned it pretty much all of it life, He said The last time he rode it it was going ok, He left in his shed for 1year with out even riding it, Would this afect the engine or is it ok??? He also said that if Im going to rev the **** out of it it wont last very long. He said it is ok crusing about fast or slow just makes some noises when belting the crap throug it.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Personally, I would remove the carb and give it a good disassembly and cleaning. Dried up fuel mixture can wreak havoc on a carb. Spray carb cleaner through all of the passages and jets. I know you'll clean the air filter. Being winter time, I'd also take the head off and take a look inside to check the head, bore, exhaust valves, etc.

Take a look at the exhaust pipe and silencer. If they are clogged, that will affect the ability of the engine to work hard. Don't forget to check the swingarm bearings and linkage. You should have a blast.

OOPS--you're headed into summer down there. We just got 3 inches of snow in the Chicago area yesterday. I wish I could come down and help you.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Don't forget the air filter! Along with the above change the oil and the Freeze. I am kind of worried about the "Don't Rev" warning though. That statement just reeks of a pre-existing problem somewhere. While you have the top end off take a feeler gauge to the lower rod berings. For most bikes the specks are .02-.07 mm. Remember to have a gasket set and a piston on hand just in case the top end is worn out then there is no waiting on parts.

Good Luck,

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Yeah, if you've got the spare $$ go for a full rebuild....It will last for YEARS. Hey, it already has! :)

tomcat

Dec 2, 2002
thanks for the reply guy's it really helped me out thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…