89 KDX Tire and Caliper questions

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
In the process of refurbishing an 89 KDX 200. Was hoping someone could give me the specs on the original tires for this
bike, or recommendations. Looks like 18" rear and 21" front, but
need to know what the ###/### stands for.

Also, rear brake caliper looking iffy. If caliper needs replacement, what are my options? OEM only? If I go junking, which other of the Kawasaki line will fit the 89. Thanks in advance.:silly:

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
Tires

Canon,
Maybe I can help you out on your tire situation. If you have stock wheels, you probably do have a 21" front and an 18" rear. I do know that Kawasaki offered a 19" rear wheel as an option at some point in time. The tire sizes are just like car tires-- Tricky. The first number is the sectional width in millimeters. The number after the slash is the aspect ratio. This is the tricky part. For the most part, it is the percentage of the width that the sidewall heigth is, but not always. That is why it is so tricky. For example, you have an 80/100-21 tire. This means that the sectional width of the tire is 80mm wide, the sidewall is 100% of the width tall (80mm), an it fits on a 21" wheel. If I am not mistaken, your bike's stock sizes are 80/100-21 fronts and 100/100-18 rears, like most KDXs. I don't know about the caliper, sorry. But, I hope that this helped you more than it confused you.
Collin

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Thanks "ckattner" for the tire info. Now I will be a bit more informed while on my search for a reasonably priced set of tires. At this point....I am leaning towards mail order, if I am lucky enough to find a place that does not bust my chops with high shipping.

Anyone else with caliper info....let me know.

Thanks.:D

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Hey TMKDXER.....tried the link...but could'nt get anywhere. Not sure if the link is still valid. If you see a mistake in the address...pass it my way again if you get a chance. Thanks for the input.

dirtbikeguy

May 6, 2001
Was hoping someone could give me the specs on the original tires

There are illustrated parts diagrams on the Kawasaki site. It comes in very handy. The URL is http://www.buykawasaki.com/site/home/

I've got the manual for the 89 KDX200. This is what the book states:

Standard Tire

Front: Size 80/100 - 21 51M

Make,Type Dunlop K490
(E) Dunlop K990

Rear: Size 100/100 - 18 59M
(E) 100/90 - 19 57M

Make, Type Dunlop K695
(E) Dunlop K990

(E) : European Model

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Thanks Dirtbikeguy for the info. This forum is great. Is there an archive of all the old posts, or are they flushed after x amount of time. Would love to read posts from the past to absorb more KDX info.:)

kipmax

Aug 29, 2001
What is "iffy" about the caliper?

Is it damaged? Or just corroded? If the latter, why not just clean it up and rebuild with new seals, and if necessary a new piston? Glass beading it will make it look better than new.

BTW, if you have access to an air compressor, I highly recommend getting, or making a bead blaster if you are serious about restoring an old bike.

Here is one that I made for about $60 including the gun and gloves.
(old vacuum stolen from wife...)
http://bikes.eikaiwamax.com/sandblaster.htm

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Kipmax....the caliper is general poor condition from abuse a lack of maintenance. The caliper cover must have been broken years ago. One of the eyelets that the caliper holder shaft passes thru was semi-compressed, and from what I have read, uneven pad wear will occur if the shaft cannot slide freely. The piston of the caliper looks cracked and chipped, along the top and sides, thus leading me to believe that the fluid and dust seals are probably damaged because of this. Because of its general neglect, and it's general importance for stopping the bike (plus the fact that Kawasaki parts are tooooo expensive), I thought I would start anew with a unit that had seen a bit less abuse, even if rebuilding was necessary...I would at least be dropping money on a good solid caliper housing instead of patching a battered one.

As far as the glass bead unit you have built....thats wicked. From the looks of it, you did an excellent job...especially if the frame lying on the floor to the right is a direct product of the beading. Oh yeah.....NICE bikes in the background!!:D Thanks for the info.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I have been watching this thread long enough and now it is time for me to speak. Don't replace your 89 caliper for another 89 caliper if you can help it. The 89 rear caliper does not have the drop down mounting holes for a rear disc guard. Get a 91-94 caliper so you can spend $20 and get a disc guard so you don't have to spend a couple hundered $$ replacing the rotor when you smack it. I wish I kept my old 89 caliper so I could show you the differences side by side. Oh well, you will just have to take my word on it.

As far as the frame and other steel pieces go, get them powder coated. My frames, springs, etc. were done in 94 and they still look brand new. No bare metal showing anywhere. And for tires, I run a 110/100. Extra meat is always good.

Hope this helps,

Brenda

Top Bottom