89 KDX200 Headlight. Help & win a cookie...seriously.

DirtyRyan

Jul 29, 2009
Ya know, I hadn't even gone out and gotten a horn yet. Idunno about elsewhere, but a lot of bikers seem to enjoy being wise guys by putting a bicycle squeeze ball horn on their bike. Technically it passes by law.
Not that I'd want to do that with this bike, I think an actual audible horn in the more traditional sense would be good. Any suggestions on the horn?

DirtyRyan

Jul 29, 2009
out of curiosity....how A: obscene and B: possible do ya'll think it would be to put something like a ship (or train) horn on the bike? I'm kinda chuckling at the idea, but I just started looking at all sorts of horns and...the idea seems kinda fun...

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to add a battery setup to your bike. With the stcok stator optimistcally putting out 40 watts you don't have any power to spare.

On the horn, I have found a small horn that will work on either AC or DC voltage for only $10. This helps keep things simple. 12v Horn (near bottom of page) They also have mirrors as well but are a little more expensive than a couple of places I have found.

I have the new, and complete, schematic for you here in just a bit.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Here it is. It is a very simple setup that will work. Do this wiring, add a mirror, and you are done! Well, done as long as you can mount your plate right to the fender to allow the clear part of the tail light to act as your plate light!

89-94KawasakiKDXstreetlegalwiring.jpg

DirtyRyan

Jul 29, 2009
Sweeeeeeet! Man, I can't thank you enough for that. I do have some questions though. I need to also apologize for the lack of pics that were promised and have since not been posted. When I said I was having "technical issues" I meant with getting the woman to get them off her camera and onto a usb stick so i could upload them. I'll see if I can actually get her to do that today, which may help answer the following questions:

1. I noticed the diagram only shows connection to the one bulb at the headlight. There are however two bulbs. One big center one, and one smaller one. each with three connection terminals. Will leaving the second bulb disconnected as in the diagram effect the high/low abilities or would the switch somehow regulate more juice to the main bulb, causing it to serve as both high and low?

2. I noticed the added voltage regulator in this schematic. I don't know much about these and I had heard that the 89s didnt have VRs on em. What particular VR would I need to get (and from where) in order to add this part to the wiring?

3. What do we think about the addition of a circut breaker? Would this be needed you think or would this complicate things beyond need?

I think that's it for now. I'll get on the girl about those pics today. We've had our hands a bit full lately however with some major home remodeling projects. Thanks again! That diagram work is awesome!

DirtyRyan

Jul 29, 2009
Oh also, what sort of baked goods would you care for? I think were in safe territory to start asking that question now. Call me old fashioned but I think her oatmeal raisin cookies are amazing. But you lemme know what you'd like....

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
1. I noticed the diagram only shows connection to the one bulb at the headlight. There are however two bulbs. One big center one, and one smaller one. each with three connection terminals. Will leaving the second bulb disconnected as in the diagram effect the high/low abilities or would the switch somehow regulate more juice to the main bulb, causing it to serve as both high and low?

The smaller bulb is the European running light and serves no purpose in your setup other than to seal a hole. It will not affect your headlight setup at all. Just leave it unhooked but in place to seal the hole.

2. I noticed the added voltage regulator in this schematic. I don't know much about these and I had heard that the 89s didnt have VRs on em. What particular VR would I need to get (and from where) in order to add this part to the wiring?

You can get one from Moose Racing, MSR, and many others. You can find the two I mentioned here Electrical-Accessories for $13.95. (BTW, I have used this particular retailer many times and have always had great service.)

3. What do we think about the addition of a circut breaker? Would this be needed you think or would this complicate things beyond need?

The factory didn't feel the need so I'm inclined to follow their lead. However, if you want to add fused protection (please stay away from circuit breakers) you can easily. Add a fuse as far away from the stator but before the individual circuits begin. I would recommend a 10 amp fuse. DO NOT go bigger than that.

Oh also, what sort of baked goods would you care for? I think were in safe territory to start asking that question now. Call me old fashioned but I think her oatmeal raisin cookies are amazing. But you lemme know what you'd like....

Thanks for the offer but don't worry about it. I actually enjoy working through stuff like this. Also, by helping you I have also helped myself since I will be doing the same thing to my bike. :cool:

DirtyRyan

Jul 29, 2009
Hey SS, I really gotta thank you man. You've been a tremendous help with all this stuff. Thanks to everyone else who's tossed in on this project. I'd be totally lost without you guys! I'll probably have a few more questions as I start rolling up my sleeves on this project, but I think that get's most of em handled.
I'll prolly head over to Woods Fun Center and/or Radio Shack later to get the other parts as needed.
I'll keep ya posted on how things go. Lemme know if anything else comes to mind in terms of do's and don'ts along the way.

DirtyRyan

Jul 29, 2009
hey guys, soooo I've started hooking humpty dumpty here all back together again...I thought I had the wiring done correctly, but I have no idea right now. I'm calling it quits for the evening but thought Id get whatevers fresh in my mind out here so as not to miss anything. Basically, I wired everything up like the diagram shows...at least I'm 98% certain I did.
Anyway, I put some plastics back on, and go to start it....and it just isn't starting. It sounds like he wants to, but he just won't seem to turn over. At the moment, all I have to show for it is a good sized bump and a few scraps on my chin...ughhh.
So heres a few questions going through my head....

There are basically 3 hoses running from the carb, down towards the ground...and not one of em are hooked up to anything. I don't recall disconnecting any of those, but then just cause I don't remember it doesn't mean I didn't. Are these supposed to be like air intakes into the carb or something or what? I'm a bit confused about those. One is sort clear with a yellow tinge to it, the other two are clear with a sort of redish tinge to them.

Next I should mention that I haven't actually hooked the wires up to the light switch. Or the horn. My thinking on this was that since solder was gonna be involved, and those terminals are so tiny, I woul djust hook the wires together first to see if they wee hooked properly before actually plugging them into those tiny terminals.
At any rate, I seem to get a bit of flicker with two of the three hooked up, and for whatever reason I tried connecting all three together, and that seemed to produce a bit brighter flicker as I tried to fire the bike up.
Couldn't really tell what was happening with the brake lights, since they've got that thick red plastic on em and were only talkin a little flicker right now.

And that, basically is where I'm at right now. I know that info isn't of a whole lot of help, but I figured I might as well start the dialog now while the memory is fresh.

I'm puttin it up for tonite. Lookin forward to hearin from ya'll. Thanks!

Top Bottom