Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I've done a search on this site for surging problems and it seems like it is a KX/KDX thing. The last four threads I pulled up were all Kawi's...which tells me older kawi's like mine must have some specific problem.

Anyway, I rebuilt the entire engine, new crank and seals/bearings, piston rings, hone, gaskets. BUT, I did not replace the reeds which look old nor did I do anything more than clean the carb out (no idea on jets)

The bike runs good and strong, but the idle is a little high and the airscrew won't adjust it any lower. Also, from an idle....the rpms will naturally rise slowly until it's revving about 1/2-3/4 throttle. I can blip the throttle to bring it right back down, but it will start to rise slowly again.

When I'm riding this is not an issue since I'm constantly changing the throttle, but it's just when I come to a stop and idle that it's annoying.

The only other quirk is that I've tried b10eg, br8es and b8es plugs and they all seem to foul easily. If I put around more than 10 minutes or so I gotta clear it out a little. Also after a couple tanks of gas the plugs seem to be fairly shot.

Could this just be a jetting issue or a reedvalve issue? I thought maybe the reeds were just loose and the vacuum at idle would slowly draw a charge in and make the revs climb? The runs REALLY strong though and otherwise I'm happy. I just don't want to replace anything that I don't have to. Like if I buy new reeds, rebuild and rejet the carb and it's STILL an issue?

Anyone have ideas or know of any notorious early Kawi problems in the carb or something?

Micah

Top Bottom