68supreme

Apr 18, 2004
I have several questions and if anyone can answer any of them I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a mechanic, but my background is mainly in cars so I'm trying to get up to speed on dirt bikes. I just got a freebie bike and from what I can tell it is a '89 Yamaha YZ250. It doesn't run, the ignition coil lead to the plug is cut and the clutch appears to be frozen (has sat for a long time) but everything is there and not in too bad of shape. The engine spins freely and has compression. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way to decode your exact VIN? For cars there are plenty of sites that will do it but I can't find any for motorcycles.

2) Whats the difference between a W and a WRW bike and how do you tell? The P/N for the frame and seat are the only things I have found so far that are different.

3) Is there any place to find a test procedure for the ignition components? I was told the bike was always hard to start and that it was in the ignition. I figure the carb could also be part of the problem, but I have the cut coil wire and I'm not getting any spark so I've got to get the ignition sorted first. Before I buy anything I would like to know the component is definately bad.

TIA

Mike
Bostwick, GA

Top Bottom