MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
It's been 9-1/2 months since my liver transplant, and finally for the first time I got a completely normal blood chemistry report! :aj: I've sure had more energy the past few weeks (except for a couple weeks ago) and this confirms it. They said it would take a year for me to be back to normal (and better), and things are sure going that way.

Three months ago, I found that a friend and co-worker from 15-20 years ago was dying slowly and was at the top of the list for a liver transplant as well (Badgerman also worked with this guy at another company). We've kept in touch after his tranplant. He's been using me to find out "what's next" through the healing process - the huge emotional and mental swings from the high dose of anti-rejection steroids you take for the first month, the pangs of pain that feel like someone just stabbed you with a little know from the 2-/12 foot long incision across your belly - the sudden hits of fatigue and the feeling you're just going to sleep your life away at times - the elation that you think you're really really doing well until you go back to the first day of work and get wasted in the first hour (he's going back on Monday). For him, he's had a journey of liver illness since 1988 - I"m fortunate in only being sick for a couple years.

What's all this got to do on a Dirt Bike site? He used to ride dirt bikes as a kid. Well, he's going to get back into it! He's looking for a bike, and I hope he'll be able to ride in time for the Trailfest. If so, I plan on inviting him to come along.

I'm also working on my brother to join us.

We'll probably be the slowest guys there (an actual certainty) but if this gets pulled off we'll have the biggest grins.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
That's really good to hear! :cool:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey Mark. How's your Brother John doing? He was the one that donated the Liver to you right. Havent heard anything about him. Hows his recovery doing?

Glad to hear about your blood work. Thats great news. Keep up the good work.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Great news Mark! Happy to hear you are feeling 100%. Thanks for the tip on the CG near Baldwin. The MTB trails were a balst and my daughter went back to Boston with some stories to tell. Here's a tip for you: The kings are in the rivers and flyfishing is starting to heat up. I floated the Betsie in my friends drift boat yesterday and was hooking into some 15-20 pounders. There were a few small rainbows too.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
YZMAN400 said:
Hey Mark. How's your Brother John doing? He was the one that donated the Liver to you right. Havent heard anything about him. Hows his recovery doing?

Glad to hear about your blood work. Thats great news. Keep up the good work.

I forgot to talk about John. John is doing great! He healed quickly and has suffered no ill effects, other than the scar from surgery. He had the more typical "half Mercedes" incision, which is like the inside of the Mercedes Benz car hood ornament. (Mine just looks like a hack job because of previous exploratory surgeries and from when they took out my pancreas and spleen). These heal well.

John has run in a couple of mini-marathons, and has spent most of the summer training for the Chicago Marathon. He's trying to garner enough "points" to someday run in the Boston Marathon. He usually plays on two hockey teams in the winter season, and I know he'll probably be on at least one. So as you can tell he's always been active which helps recovery, but the greatest thing is that he's back to what he enjoys.

How does one ever come close to matching the gift of organ donation??

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
FORTYPLUS said:
Great news Mark! Happy to hear you are feeling 100%. Thanks for the tip on the CG near Baldwin. The MTB trails were a balst and my daughter went back to Boston with some stories to tell. Here's a tip for you: The kings are in the rivers and flyfishing is starting to heat up. I floated the Betsie in my friends drift boat yesterday and was hooking into some 15-20 pounders. There were a few small rainbows too.

Thanks for the tip on the Kings!! I will definately hit the PM soon.

Where did you guys end up going MTB riding? Did you go to the Big M?

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
So glad to hear things are going well for you, Mark -- AND for your brother AND for your friend!
Your courageous fight and your tremendous success reminds us all of what is truly important!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Thanks Jeff!

Rickshaw, will we see you at Hanson Hills? I plan on being there now.

I don't know if anyone is into Podcasts (go to www.apple.com and download iTunes to get them), but there's one for Michigan Cycling available (the pedal kind). The last podcast had a good description for the Hanson Hills event. Souds like a good time!

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Mark, Im so glad to Hear you are feeling better . When we last rode it must have been one of your off days. Its great that your brother healed up well.
Pr 17:17 A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.
Your brother is what this verse is all about.
Curtis

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Glad your feeling better Mark. Sometime this fall we need to go ride Old Twisty!

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
It's not the speed that matters anyways, it's the grin that counts... :)

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I'm glad to hear that everything has worked out so well. I hope to have the pleasure of our crossing paths on the trail someday. :ride:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Good news

Hey Mark, I'll see you next weekend at Hanson hills. I'll be riding in the back of the pack with all the "gimps"

Good to hear things are getting better.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Seeing the thread title, I thought that this was your review of long anticipated sequel to "9½ Weeks".... Kim Basinger notwithstanding, yours is better story.... Congrats!

:cool:

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I have a 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 that we are rebuilding, and I would be pleased to sell it to someone who wants to get back in.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom