MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I really hesitated to post this at all and decided that I had to post it in here. Hopefully this won't get out of hand but I really want to know what others think of it.

by Rush Limbaugh, March 11, 2002

I think the vast differences in compensation between the victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving the country in uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11.

Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says
something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this
country.

If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're
going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier
killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death
benefit, half of which is taxable. Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry.

And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18.
When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.
Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average
of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not
enough. We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and
parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but
the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
-Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually
receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing.

However, our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month, and most are now equal to being millionaires plus.

They also do not receive Social Security on retirement because
they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed you in harm's way receive a pension of $15,000 per
month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and
join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.

"When do we finally do something about this?"

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Eddie that is the one thing about all the Sept 11 portions that really gets to me. Yes they were innocent victims but so are the people killed everyday by drunk drivers. I feel that the Government doesn't belong in the position of making payments other than whatever benefits everyone else is entitled to. I don't expect the govt to come in and support my family should I die that is why I have saved, taken out ins policies and planned for that event.
Now as to Soldiers killed in the line of duty- the govt again is wrong. These are mostly young men and women who are doing what the majority do not have the where with all to do. Without them our nation and the world would not be the same. We owe them a large debt which shopuld be compensated fairly whether just for the duty they do or for the ultimate sacrifice some will make.
I know my feelings on this also will not be especially appreciated but thanks to those that served (I was not one) I can express it

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
once I figure out how my family was victimized by the bad dudes, I'll be putting in for the $1.1Mill or should I go for the $4+Mill???? hmmmmm
of course if the event occurred on the left coast, they would be adding a zero to those numbers....

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I think the part of it that really PO'd me the most was the OKC & Embassy victims seeing the dollar signs and wanting their 'government cheese' also. I realize that not all, and hopefully not even a majority are involved in this but man does everything eventually have to end up with how much $$ can I get?

I agree 100% with ya Dave.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yup. This is gonna get ugly REALLY fast.

I'll say this.
1) Is it officially an act of war? Don't insurance companies get-off in that case? I don't know if these people are entitled to their life insurance policies.

2) "and the very people who placed you in harm's way"... Excuse me, there is no draft. Join the military, you volenteer to go to war. Going to work in fatiges vs. going to work in a suit are two entirely different things. The employees at the WTC didn't elect to be in harms way, soldiers do.

What happened to all these innocent people is without doubt, the worst we'll ever (I hope) have to witness. If it was in fact the governemnt handing-out the dollars, I'd have a problem with it. However... the dollars they are receiving are from us. The people who gave. That's exactly how it SHOULD work. We should be compelled to help each other and not take a "the government will handle it" attitude.

I don't think I'll get too concerned about a few greedy folks of the other trageties. Gonna have some like that no matter what.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Okie, the payout TTR-guy is talking about is tax payers money, the government and airlines settlement, and not the donations given in support.

Soldiers do elect to be in harms way, which in my mind makes their sacrifice greater than the average joe. One would think a simple insurance policy taken out on all active service men would do the trick - the premiums to be part of their salary. This way everyone serving this country would have adequate insurance and not have to bother with this issue.

I can guarantee you that if any of us were attacked and killed by a terrorist in the street or in our homes, there would be no government or red cross payout.

Less than 40% of the money donated by us, has been distributed so far.

Too keep things in perspective, I lost my job because of what happened last year, I will probably lose everything I have worked my entire life for because of the state the economy is in, companies are reluctant to hire foreigners, recruitment companies refuse to forward my resume' to prospective clients, many companies are requiring US citizenship, local candidates only, I cannot even make it through the door for an interview.

You think you guys are p'd off, you can imagine how I feel ....... :(

Funny thing is, the last thing I need right now is charity or sympathy, I have always made my own way, put myself through three years of night school for my banking diploma, and will survive come what may. I have my faith too, so I am positive whatever happens, things will work out for me.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and
parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad.

Sad, distressing, and maddening as hell too :ugg:

Now if anyone can point me in Osama's direction I will gladly go collect that much needed bounty :think:

BTW, I wonder how many good, honest, harding working folk, have lost their jobs, savings, livelyhood because of 911, must number in the tens of thousands :|

Last edited:

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
O.K. This could get out of hand, but before it does, I'd like to add .02. Being military I'll address the insurance thing first. A soldier member has the opportunity to (and actually is signed up for life insurance automatically, although they can veto it if desired) buy what is called SGLI Soldier's Group Life Insurance starting at 250,000 for about 20 bucks a month, this is payable no matter how the soldier dies. However, this is term life insurance, thus when the soldier ETS's or retires if he/she doesn't have "whole life" insurance, the chances of the average infantryman and all of his ailments (like a 50yr old motocrosser who raced every day) getting any type of life insurance or passing a physical are pretty nil. The paycheck we get is based on a 40hr work week, when I was in division we worked b/w 60-80hrs a week not counting deployments and field time so that's a joke. But I knew this when I signed up. The biggest thing that really fired me up was when I was a platoon leader I had young E-5's and below on food stamps, not because they had new stereo's and rims on their cars, but because they had two or more kids and their paychecks didn't cover daycare, baby stuff, and food for the family. This is a shame. No one I know in the military signs up because someone promised them they would get rich, but it was assumed that the basic pay would be enough to cover the basic needs of ones family. Now I really can't say or don't wish to expound upon our government's desire to compensate the families of 9/11 save to say that it's a good thing, but should be done in a blanket manner, i.e., everyone gets the same amount. If we're gonna go the route of "opps, shoulda' seen this coming, sorry we didn't, here have some money" and attribute a fininacial amount to someone's loss, than each and every family who suffered a loss needs to know that they are equal. Didn't mean to preach here guys, just my two cents.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I agree with much of what was said except for the Life Ins. benifits for soldiers. We do have it, Service Members Group Life Insurance or SGLI it costs about 18-20 dollars a month and the benifit is worth up to $250,000 dollars upon the death of the soilder be it in peace time or war.

Originally posted by Okie
Excuse me, there is no draft. Join the military, you volenteer to go to war. Going to work in fatiges vs. going to work in a suit are two entirely different things. The employees at the WTC didn't elect to be in harms way, soldiers do.

Okie, no there isn't a draft but if we ever needed one again your already registered. Remember the Slective Service?
As for my volentary decision to join the Army, it was made before Desrt Storm. My imidiate family have for the most part been in uniform (except the AF) at one point in the last 50 years. So you might say that this great nations security is like a family bussiness. One that I happen to be proud of.
No soldier, sailor, marine or airman ever wants to go to war, but when the fire starts we all march to the sound of the guns.
I agree with Mr. Limbaugh's views about military pay, seince I had to struggle with the thought of having to get a second job while on active duty jusat to make ends meet while I was married. In '96 $1450.00 a month just didn't cut it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Matt, ya beat me to it! LOL, way to go quick fingers!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
They had a segment on how the people got paid for this. I dont remember the guys name that setup the formula but alot of people were pissed and others happy. I think its a crock! Let the goverment pay for the funeral benefits and a SMALL sum of money to help get them started. Say a years pay.

The example they used was for a guy who died. He had a wife and 2 kids. $250,000 for dieing, then $250,000 per child, and then they took his yearly salary ($55,000 E-7 military) times it by how many years left til he turned 65years old. It worked out to a million something. Then they subtract any amount of money the family would get thru life insurance etc. The wife wound up getting 1.4 million dollars. The smile on her face was unreal! She was so happy and said she didnt expect anything near that amount. Hell with the money she's getting, she doesnt have to work til she's 65. Sorry but i this is wrong. Sure, I feel for their loss but dont think they should be getting this kind of money when nothing else has been done for all the others who were wrongfully killed.

The goverment should of known that the OKC people would want the samething. If these people are getting it, so should they! Guess if your going to be killed you better hope its by a foreign terrorist instead of a local one. :think:

Last edited:
Top Bottom