usagi

May 11, 2009
I've been searching for days now, but can't find any info. I just bought a 90 KDX 200 and I'll be doing a lot of long-distance rides. I'd like to get a larger fuel tank to avoid being stranded out in the middle of the desert. The only tanks I can find are either used stockers or 95+ IMS/Clarke tanks. Does anyone know of any higher capacity tanks for the E's?

If not, I may just buy a used stock tank and McGuyver it to add some capacity to it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You can always carry two pints or so with you in a fanny pack, and dump them in as soon as you ride 10 miles or so.

FWIW, I was able to expand the tank on my '84 from 3.3 gallons to almost 4 gallons (the bike got a lot thirstier when I put a 240 kit in). I did this by draining the tank, and letting the bike sit in the hot sun for awhile. Then add a couple of gallons of near boiling water to get the plastic soft. Let it sit for a bit, then take an airhose and add some pressure to the tank's vent hose. The tank will blow up like a balloon. Pinch the vent hose off with a clamp, and let it cool. The tank will shrink back as it cools, but you should pick up some capacity.

FWIW, you don't need to add much air pressure.

Also, if you go this route, do it with the tank on the bike - you don't want it expanding in ways that keep you from putting it back on!

Since you can find a stock tank replacement, it might be worth the risk.

BTW, if your jetting is too rich, lean it out some and that will also help your range. And if you know you are going on a long ride, try not to do sustained high rpm wide open runs.

usagi

May 11, 2009
dirt bike dave said:
You can always carry two pints or so with you in a fanny pack, and dump them in as soon as you ride 10 miles or so.

FWIW, I was able to expand the tank on my '84 from 3.3 gallons to almost 4 gallons (the bike got a lot thirstier when I put a 240 kit in). I did this by draining the tank, and letting the bike sit in the hot sun for awhile. Then add a couple of gallons of near boiling water to get the plastic soft. Let it sit for a bit, then take an airhose and add some pressure to the tank's vent hose. The tank will blow up like a balloon. Pinch the vent hose off with a clamp, and let it cool. The tank will shrink back as it cools, but you should pick up some capacity.

FWIW, you don't need to add much air pressure.

Also, if you go this route, do it with the tank on the bike - you don't want it expanding in ways that keep you from putting it back on!

Since you can find a stock tank replacement, it might be worth the risk.

BTW, if your jetting is too rich, lean it out some and that will also help your range. And if you know you are going on a long ride, try not to do sustained high rpm wide open runs.

That may be a problem, lol.

I'll probably get a used stock one to experiment on. I also have an '89 that was bored/sleeved to 240cc that I'll be swapping with eventually, which will most assuredly affect mileage. For now, I'll just strap a little 1gal can on her for an emergency reserve.

Top Bottom