'90 KIPS main exhaust valve question

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
I've just pulled the exhaust valves to clean them and am having some problems with reassembly. When the actuator rod is at full travel, the main (center) exhaust valve alignment in the port seems wrong. At full rod travel, the valve over-rotates so that the crescent shaped cutout doesn't align exactly with the cutout in the roof of the exhaust port. The manual doesn't detail how to time this valve, but I've searched the threads here and I think I'm doing it correctly according to the replies. When the left and right valves are fully open, shouldn't the main (center) valve cutout be aligned exactly with the port roof cutout?

What's the exact procedure to engage the teeth on the main valve with the teeth on the actuator rod? I think the way I'm doing it is to pull the rod out against the right side stop and then push in the main valve and rotate it as I push the actuator rod back in so that the teeth engage and rotate the main valve clockwise (as viewed from front of engine). Is this correct?

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
I found the same.
The centre valve does seem to be out of alignment slightly but you can't do much about it as it relies on the teeth/rachet alignment.
When I put them all in I checked that they would all be fully open.
Then move the rod and see if they are all fully closed.
If this happens you should be OK.
The side valves line up with the rod (Dot to Line LHS) and (Dot to Dot RHS)
Can email a pic if you need it.
Rgds Darren

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Thanks folks. I put it together last night and it's real close, apparently within the manufacturing tolerances anyway.

Top Bottom