90 KTM 300 bearing part no. what does it mean?

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
I am rebuilding my 1990 KTM 300 EXC.

The large bearing which the rear shock mounts to the linkage is totally shot & needs to be replaced. However the local KTM guys are quoting me $100 (CDN) for just the bearing!!!

I've pressed it out & taken the dimensions, and i have a KTM part no. - but i cannot cross-reference it with any comercially available bearings as i do not know what the KTM code translates to. Please help me, as i really do not want to spend this kind of money.

The dimensions are 18mm (id) x 32mm (o.d) x 16mm width.

The KTM no. is: 546.03.197.000

Redbird

May 9, 2001
Try checking a local bearing supply house. I have bought bearings for Husky , Kawasaki, and Yamahai at a local bearing supply house in my town. As long as you have the bearing were they can match it up they can probably get it for you at a fraction of the cost of OEM. Its worth a shot.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Thanks for the reply,

I did go to the local bearing distributor, but he doesn't have anything that matches those dimensions & it was his advice to get a part no, etc. to see if he could cross-reference those numbers.

I will keep on looking. I do not want to machine bushings to match a commercially available bearing, but i will if i have to.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
A hundred bucks is too much; my dealer (Cycle Town South near Dallas) charges about $73. But KTM does not manufacture its own bearings; they are purchased from bearing makers. There should be a number on the bearing itself that a good bearing house can cross-reference. If not, take the bearing to a bearing house and ask them to match it.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
I agree a houndred is too much, however your supply at $73 = $110 (CAN). I did take the bearing to a good supply house, and they as well as others are unable to match to those dimensions. There is no discernable numbers to be found. I might have to buy the friggin thing!

I talked to a KTM guru here about replacing that needle roller bearing with a oil impregneted plain type bronze bushing, however he warns me that it will take out my shock shaft, as that will allow for no torsional movement - leading to snapping of bending the shock shaft.

I don't even want to price that out.

thanks for your replies.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Another question, while i'm at it. Where can i find the information that lists the description of the part numbers., i.e. a 6mm bolt as listed in the chassis parts list gives a KTM number (0912080353) - where does it explain what that means. Is it microfiche's that the dealers have, a database, or manual & if so how do i get my hands on those?

thanks (venting)

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Dirtsquid, what dealer have you been talking to? I bet Helmut Clasen can get you fixed up with a bearing. Do you have the book that lists all the part numbers that came with the bike? If you dont, again, call Helmut. I know my 01 400EXCs manual had NSK Bearing cross reference for all the bearings. I hate NSK bearings, but FAG, SKF etc... all can cross reference NSK numbers. Helmuts number is (905)627-5349. Good Luck!

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Thanks, i dropped in at Helmet's on Friday & got the number as well as ordered a fiche that lists the part number details. Helmet has helped me in the past. However he still lists that bearing as $92.00. ouch.

thanks for the reply,

Mark

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Squid, this came to me via email from another DRN'er:

get GREASABLE HEIM bearings SC-16 is the size, under $20 bucks to boot!

http://www.edm-tooling.com/reb/pg16.htm

Main Office
Hirschmann Engineering USA, Inc.
1558 Barclay Blvd.
Buffalo grove, IL 60089
Phone 847-419-9890
Fax 847-419-9895
e-mail info@hirschmannusa.com

I did get seals from a local bearing shop but I do not have that
information with me right now.

Now as for a stock bearing/spacers:
>>Mike Kruger
>>Cycle Zone KTM
>>866-843-7433 toll free
kits are about $50 COMPLETE.

I did not do a zerk as I really think it is better to
clean/inspect/grease
this a few times a year.

Hope this helps!
Paul

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by DirtSquid

The dimensions are 18mm (id) x 32mm (o.d) x 16mm width.

The KTM no. is: 546.03.197.000

Squid, could you check those numbers?? That 18mm is really strange, and I can´t find you an SKF equivalent.

DirtSquid

Apr 10, 2000
Yes, those dimensions are correct & yes i agree it is strange. However i have found a bearing number (i'm unsure of the manufacturer) - RPN018-32.

I have talked to the people listed in the previous post & contacted them about a replacement bearing. $19.20 ea., however it is 16mm x 32mm, and will require custom made bushings - but i have the capability to do that at minimal cost.

thanks,

Mark

Top Bottom