paulk66

Sep 22, 2019
Hi, first post.
I have a front end off a 1991 Honda cr250 and would like to know what adjustments or maintenance I can do to them? I know compression is adjusted at the bottom of the forks, does this adjust rebound as well? On the top of the forks in the center of the fork cap the is a flat headed screw (or it looks to be) what is this for? And can I change the oil in them with out taking them apart? if so how do I do that?

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Yeuppers , I have a 89, cr-2fiddy, and it has the clickers on the bottom, You could do an oil change, but you need a fluid measuring device, a shop manual, and you might have to take off the fork caps to drain and add fluid. I did my older cr-s forks once and messed it up bad, LOL! The level is critical for performance. Find a shop manual by Clymer or Haynes, and read it closely! Good luck, Red Rider!
1f813d594ed99aac14ac798728bb2c1e.jpg

paulk66

Sep 22, 2019
Hello, The center bolt on the fork cap is to let built up air pressure out of the fork.
This bike has no rebound adjuster on the forks.
The adjuster on the bottom is for compression only.

Many thanks for the reply. So I don't touch the center bolt at all?
Also, one tarmac, is it best to have harder or softer compression? what with not being able to adjust rebound, I'm a bit curious as to best set up for the hard black stuff.

paulk66

Sep 22, 2019
Yeuppers , I have a 89, cr-2fiddy, and it has the clickers on the bottom, You could do an oil change, but you need a fluid measuring device, a shop manual, and you might have to take off the fork caps to drain and add fluid. I did my older cr-s forks once and messed it up bad, LOL! The level is critical for performance. Find a shop manual by Clymer or Haynes, and read it closely! Good luck, Red Rider! View attachment 20568

Hi, I managed to get a workshop manual for the 250, but it covers so many years it make your eyes hurt trying to find info specific for the 91.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Hi, I managed to get a workshop manual for the 250, but it covers so many years it make your eyes hurt trying to find info specific for the 91.
If I recall correctly, the 90-91 forks were similar, just rebound clicker on the bottom. I turn mine in until they are seated snug, and count out 10 clicks out for a base line. I take it for a ride and adjust it for the riding of that day or place I ride. Turn in 1 click stiffens it up, 1 click out for softer enduro style riding. 10 out is a good start. I also match my shock rebound and compression at 10 out for each, and adjust for there. After a while of riding you find a comfortable setting for fun riding and maybe racing, wink, wink. So first mess around with the clickers before you dig in to the innards of it. Good luck!:$

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
If I recall correctly, the 90-91 forks were similar, just rebound clicker on the bottom. I turn mine in until they are seated snug, and count out 10 clicks out for a base line. I take it for a ride and adjust it for the riding of that day or place I ride. Turn in 1 click stiffens it up, 1 click out for softer enduro style riding. 10 out is a good start. I also match my shock rebound and compression at 10 out for each, and adjust for there. After a while of riding you find a comfortable setting for fun riding and maybe racing, wink, wink. So first mess around with the clickers before you dig in to the innards of it. Good luck!:$

RedRider. The compression clicker is on the bottom of these forks.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Compression adjusters on the early CR USD forks, got that Paulk66?, Good! Compression adjusters, im down with it baby! =)
9dd7d1ec53dd8444b0b6e0a3e4764afb.jpg
Compression is the operative word for the day. Comp ress ion.....

Maxx MRP

www.maxxracing.fr
I am restoring a 250 CR of 1991, I will ride with and I replace the front fork and rear shock.
Fork of 450 CRF 2013 with triple clamps
Shock absorber 250 CRF 2008
the shock 12mm rod, makes me very scared with today's jumps
and the lack of rebound adjustment, also annoys me

Top Bottom