Glenbear

Sep 12, 2001
The clutch on my 91 kdx 250 grabs when when clutch is engaged.I believe the cable is adjusted properly.A clicking noise can be heard as you depress the clutch lever.This appears to be coming from inside the casing at the clutch arm.Any help would be appreciated.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
your clutch basket may be grooved, this might explain the noise you hear as you engage the clutch (plates dragging the grooves). I'd take off the clutch cover to inspect the condition of the clutch.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Open the draw & take out a dirty big file. This may be accomplished with your dominant (usually right) hand to lift the file out while your recessive hand steadies the draw.

OK maybe too specific.

The grooves will cause actuation problems. This is the part in the manual that says replace with new part. . . Yeah right.

Basically take the hub out using the correct tool made out of old clutch plates. File the grooves out, clean & reassemble.

If there is a lot of material to remove then things are grim. However I believe there is a place around that reconditions the fingers with steel inserts which you may find in the adverts of the local bike mag or if Spanky250 will put his hand up he should know.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
STORMIN NORMAN’S RACING, Billet clutch baskets , Basket wear inserts kit, includes machining (select models) call Norm at 724-722-3630

He has a website also, but I can't remember what the URL is. You can also go with a Hinson billet basket.

The main thing you have to watch if you file them down by hand is to try to file each finger as evenly as possible, to remove the same amount of metal from each finger. If you file some more than others, the clutch tangs will not touch at all points, causing rapid clutch wear, plate breakage, and failure.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah yeah good point I sort of take that as obvious that you want all the plates bearing on the fingers the same amount but I suppose it isn’t totally obvious so good call.

Will store the Storming Norm ref in the memory banks, cheers.

Top Bottom