johng723

Jul 19, 2006
Hey everyone, my friend owns a 1992 KDX 250 and seems to be having quite a few problems with it. Previously he was having problems with his carb flooding, so we found that the float was broken, had that replaced and rebuilt the carb. We can't seem to figure out what's going on now. The bike starts up fine (one the first or second kick) when we are starting out the day, but after he's been riding for a while, it turns into about 20 kicks before the bike even thinks about starting. Today, he had a mishap on a nice sandy portion of the trail and we just couldn't get the bike started at all. Any ideas??

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the jetting is stock, the bike is very rich. When doing a lot of low speed technical riding, this can result to a fouled plug. Also, the stock plug is too cold for tight riding, IMO. Me and one of my buddies had '91 and '92 KDX250s, and with much leaner jetting and hotter plugs (we used BR7ES intsted of the stock BR8ES) the bikes no longer fouled plugs.

Underneath the bad jetting and stock fork settings, there is a decent bike hiding in there. With some attention to setup, the KDX250 can work pretty well and should be very reliable.

If the bike is flooded, he should twist the throttle all the way open and kick it through to try and clear it out (don't open and close the throttle - just keep it open).

Anyways, he should carry a new plug with him in case one fouls on the trail.

Top Bottom