'93 Inverted Fork Disassembly help!

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
I have drained the oil, and unscrewed the top caps on the forks.
Then I used an electric impact wrench and held the lower tube in order to break loose the lower allen bolt. Well, I broke it loose, but now it won't come out. It is turning the internal spring, damper rod assembly when I turn it. If I stop the spring from spinning (without much force) the tension on the allen bolt increases, but still could be undone very easily by a wrench (almost by hand) So now something internal is turning, and I can't seem to stop it.

I have only done one fork, as to not screw things up for the next one. Any suggestions as to how I fix this problem. Should I take it into a dealer and have them charge me a arm and a leg?

I just want to get the allen bolt out! So far, is this the proper technique? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
(PS. I am replacing the dust and oil seals on the forks, and putting stiffer .38kg/mm fork springs)
Thanks,
Spencer

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First off you need to remove the top cap on the forks. Once you unscrew them, you need to push the spring down, get a wrench on the push rod nut there and then one on the cap. Now remove the cap and the fork spring. Now use a special tool (Fork cylinder tool) to loosen the internals. This link should help you:

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/kayabafork/kybfrk.html

Top Bottom