riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Currently I ride a 93 KDX 200. It's pretty much stock. Is there a major performance difference between the 93 and the 02? My 93 has a pretty good hit but I'm looking at getting into racing next year. Thanks. Dave

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I'm wondering about power differences. Is 220's suspension stiffer? Unfortunately I do not have the ability to test drive a 220 :( I'm looking at some woods racing done locally.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I've ridden/owned both..

'90 200 piped,jetting to match.

Nice all round bike. Nice bottom end,,,,hard hitting mid and a great top end.
The front fork springs where change from stock prior to my purchase so I can't say what the stock suspension was like.
It was however,,,too stiff for my weight and riding style.....well,,,if I had a style that is... :confused:

--------------------------------------------------

01 220 in stock form.
Amazing bottom end . A really nice smooth transistion to the mid......top end was very dissappointing.
Stock suspenison was better than the 200s even before it was dialed in.

Installing a rev pipe,jetting,setting the race sag and dialing in the stock front suspension( as best as possible for what it is).. made a huge ,,,huge difference.
Gobbles up the whoops,,,,climbs trees and tears down the opens sections..
With the rev pipe you will lose some bottom end over stock but the mid and top end improvements are well worth the money spent.

I have just installed a torque ring and will continue jetting once I remove the air box lid..
These mods should help regain some of the lost bottom end.

Enjoy and best of luck.

Buc

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Thanks for the input Buck. I've purchased a 2002 220 for 4499. Fresh off the floor. Pretty decent price. Before I even get the bike I'm getting a pro circuit pipe and silencer put on. I'm also having him set up the suspension for my weight and riding style. Thanks again. Dave

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Basic differences between the 200 and the 220:

Port timing
Carburetor size

Well....and of course bore size.

The above listed differences make the two quite different animals.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Basic differences between the 200 and the 220:

Port timing
Carburetor size

I've read somewhere that the stock carb is too small for the 220 and should consider putting a larger, after market one in. I'm going to ride the bike stock for a while but is replacing the carb something I should seriously consider?

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
riverz....I highly recommend running the bike stock even for a short time...That way you can appreciate the mods you make as you go..
Getting the suspension done is a great start...Control over power!

The stock carb on the 220 is 33mm compared to the 35mm carb on the 200..
The smaller carb increases the velocity of the intake charge during low rpm thus increasing bottom end.Unfortunely all good must have it's drawbacks..The carb is limited in the total cfm's it can flow and decreased topend results.
That along with the larger displacement/ port timing as canyncarvr :worship: stated make the 220 all that it is.

There are several threads on the RB carb mod.....bored stock carb to 36mm,clean'd up pilot circuit,,jetted to your riding conditions/style and installation of divider plate.
Visit their WEBSITE aswell.
You could also install a carb off a 200 with good results after jetting..
The divider plate makes all the difference.on the RB carb mod.

I have a new never used torque pipe sitting on a shelf in my garage....Once I have had my fun play/tunig the rev pipe I'm going to throw it on...

Then the fun begins all over again.

Congrats,,,enjoy and keep us posted with you experiences..

Buc

Oh ya....the torque ring did squat!! I'm thinking I have cracked reeds and thus my pilot circuit is flat and runs really,really rich. Even after installing a smaller one................ahhhhh the joy!

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is a lot to be said for getting to know the bike in stock form...and then making changes as you see fit.......one at a time so you know what you've done.

Also, it's true that you may not even realize 'something' needs to be done until after you've done it.

Case in point:

MX-Tech did my suspension. When I got it back it wondered why on earth I forked out the $700 some bucks for it cuz it didn't seem that earthshaking a benefit.

I had the chance to ride an otherwise similarly equipped kdx (same year, same size) and compare the two on the same day, one the same route.

Wow. Bigger difference than I'd thought! The (then it was) kdx I rode in stock suspender trim was a scary beast!! The benefit of the mx-tech work was obvious after that.

Didn't stop me from revalving both the forks and the shock after that (AND change the fork springs a few times, different oil levels/oil types, preload changes..let alone a bunch of clicker fooling around) in an attempt to even further improve the bike.

My bike is an amalgam of a whole lotta stuff....the result is far away (read 'better') from stock...and I'm still fooling with it.

You don't have to change everything in your bike to have fun with it. Still, the better rider you are (or become) the more chance you will likely want to start messing with it.

There is plenty you can do....doesn't mean it has to be done.

Enjoy your bike! That is the point............ ;)

Top Bottom