EYY

May 22, 2010
Hi guys, I've just been wondering if it would be possible to make a swap to kx125 forks whilst still retaining the standard caliper, front wheel and triple clamps on my 93 kdx200 (with stock usd forks).

Have the diameters of KX forks changed over the years, and if so which ones would be most suitable?

I know similar questions have been asked and answered before, and after a search i still couldn't find exactly the information I was after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
The stock clamps, absolutely not. Well, unless you are going with older KX conventional forks but what would be the point in that?

The stock wheel, possible with a custom axle.

Brake caliper, maybe. Check the part# of yours versus the one it calls for your donor forks.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Doh! I had a brain fart and forgot about '93-'94 upside down forks!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
yeah, unless you have the means to machine the front axle. There's a guy on kdxrider who did a very good job of KX forks and KDX wheel, brake, and speedo using a custom front axle. The triples must be changed out, no way around it.

kx500 is direct swap (complete front end)

kx125/250 requires removing the KDX stem from your triples, and pressing it into the kx lower triple. you also need a spacer/bushing for the upper triple clamp

Other things will work in a similar fashion. For example, I am using yz250 forks on my 89 200.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Thanks for your replies guys. I rode the bike for the first time the other weekend after rebuilding/replacing everything on the bike (except for the forks), literally.

I'm impressed with the bike overall, although a little disappointed in the forks. When i take them apart to rebuild them, based on their condition i'll decide on whether or not to make the swap to the kx front end.

By the way, does anybody know the correct levels of oil for the standard usd kdx200 forks? My manual doesn't have the added section regarding this.

Thanks again.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Yeah, stock springs are way soft. You could try new springs and upgrading to a heavier oil and play with the oil height a bit to tune it more to your liking.

Top Bottom