'93 KX 250 how the hell to split cases?

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Ok, Ive had many a crank case apart in my days, mostly older stuff...SL70s, Kaw F5/F9 350s, Honda XL200...however, I recently scored a nice basket case project that's about 20 years newer than Im used to. ITs a 93 KX 250. THe big end of the rod is seized, and Im taking the box down to get the crank out. Everythings been removed from the clutch side, and the flywheel is off, and all the bolts are removed. Im at the point where I usually get out the rubber mallet and beat a little, but it aint budging.
Is it something to do with the fact that this is a newer gearbox than Im used to dealing with, and the tolerances are much closer?
Also, what side (flywheel or clutch side) is likely to come free first, in other words , all the gears and crap usually cling to one half, while the other comes off.
Is there a special tool I should be using-if so how much, and where to buy-I can envision making a device to bolt to the case and turn into the crank end, but I dont know....
So, anybody ever cracked one off these?
Thanks,
Neil
IF you want to check out my KX and other bikes, my site is
http://twostroke.tripod.com
(purely a hobby site)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
2Stroke,
I just did a 97 KX 250 case splitting, dont know if its the same, but this is what I did.
After all the case bolts have been removed,which included 2 under the magneto, Take a small propane torch and heat up around the main crank bearing . Be careful not to melt the crank seal, it(the aluminum) actually doesnt need that much heat to swell up, expand, enough to let go of the crank bearing. At this point , take a rubber mallet and tap on the crank shaft lightly to push the 2 halfs apart. OR this is when you would use a case splitter to push on the crank shaft . A case splitter is no more than a flat piece of steel about a half inch thick with 2 thru holes for bolts to screw into the case in the magneto area, and 1 tapped hole in the center for a long bolt to push on the crank.
Do yourself a favor and buy a manual .
I hope this helps, keep us posted.

Walt

Top Bottom