woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Hello Folks,

My 94 KDX has always been a one- to-two kick bike and no problems. However, right now I can't seem to get a spark. The bike had gotten real wet (hosed it down) but now won't start (i did have a little mosture under the ignition cover when I removed it, and attempted to dry it out with a small heat gun:eek: ). I've change the plug and dryed everything off and changed the plug but no spark. I've now pulled the flywheel and removed the stator coil, my questions are:
A) how often does a stator go bad? could I have damaged it with the heat?
B) how can I test it?
C) what are other common causes of no spark that I should check?

thanks in advance,

WoodChuck

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Hrms... Don't ignore the obvious... After replacing my stator on my RM $275.00, my 'no-spark' problem turned out to be a $6.00 spark plug cap : (

I doubt you hosed it up with heat.

Doube check your ground, and the plug wire... Beyond that I don't know how to test a KDX CDI if you can, or the stator. I think most stator testers actually test the strenght of the spark, and w/o that it makes it tough. You might find a standard resistance measurement somewhere. I bet Dave or someone will chime in real soon.

good luck.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I had a problem with my 93 KDX that turned out to be a pinched wire, but in your case I'd doubt that.

Look to make sure your kill switch isn't grounding out all the time, and if that fails pull apart all the electrical connections and spray them with WD and reassemble.

JJ

Dec 6, 1999
Your service manual has the stator resistance measurements and you can check it easily with a standard multimeter. The coil needs special equipment to test, so I had the my local dealer test it for $25. I am told that weak spark is probably stator related but that no spark is usually coil or plug wire. Go simple first, replace or trim the plug wire and put a new cap on.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If the bike was running normally before you washed it I'd be looking at the following for the solution:

Kill switch is clean and not full of water – remove the kill switch and make sure it's clean and dry. Contact cleaner might come in handy here.
Plug cap is dry and in good condition.
There is no water in the carb.
You don't have an ignition wire with the jacket worn away that is now grounding out due to water etc.

Once you've run through the simple things if you still have a problem get back to us and we’ll dig into it in more detail.

Yes do trim back the plug wire a little and inspect the cap.

David

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Thanks for the input, It was the Stator

Hello All,

I tryed all the easy stuff first then, put in a new $89 stator coil and it runs now first kick.

thanks much,
WoodChuck :)

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
I was wrong a bout the price

Actually I paid $84.95, via a local supplier however you can purchase them cheaper than this directly from the manufacturer at
http://www.electrexusa.com

This is a bargain when you consider the O.E.M. price from Kawasaki.

regards,
WoodChuck

Top Bottom