JDS1017

Mar 11, 2013
Alright so I bought this kx off of some guy for 600. It runs just fine I raced my first hare scramble a few weeks ago. The bike did fine. But during the race and now I noticed sometimes when it idles it will rev up pretty high. Another thing is that I was washing it after that race and noticed jb weld on the kick starter and shaft. At first I sprayed it thinking it was mud then I noticed what it was I got it off and saw that it was holding the starter on I took it off saw the bolt was broke off in the shaft. I noticed the person who had it before me tried to get it out with pliers and screwed it up. I don't feel like installing a new rod. Any tips on how to get it out. Also the idleing thing will stop once I rev it up.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If it's revving up when idling then the air screw is set too lean. Warm the bike up and then adjust the airscrew until the idle is correct. Don't know about the other problem without a picture.

JDS1017

Mar 11, 2013
Ok. Where is the air screw at? I'm 16 and haven't really had much experience with those things. Biggest thing I've done on a bike is a top end rebuild.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On most bikes, the air screw is a small brass screw on the left hand side of the carb, down low, near the rear of the carb, just above the float bowl. You will need a small, narrow bladed screwdriver to reach it. Turning it in will richen the low speed.

You measure how it is set by how many turns out. So turn it in all the way, counting the turns. If it is less than 3 turns out, I would set it 1/2 turn in from where you are now, and fine tune. If it is more than 3 turns out, someone backed it out way too far, so try two turns out to start with.

Some bikes are very sensitive to the air screw setting, and an 1/8 turn can make a difference. Other bikes, a 1/2 turn might be hard to notice.

If your only problem is fast idle when very hot, the jetting is probably pretty close.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
yes.

Top Bottom