94 Wr 250

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
94 WR250......Pros & Cons
Hi all. Kinda new to this forum although I've been a part of JustKDX for a while. I just bought a 94 WR250, and have a couple questions. I am just wondering if those of you out there w/ this era 2-pump WR like this bike? I've ridden one before in open terrain, but that's it. Nice and powerful w/ nice wide gears if I remember correctly. Like the motor? Like the suspension? Any realiability concerns? I mide mostly faster paced woods stuff, where the old very crawlable KDX is starting to become inadequate. Think I'll like this thing? BTW, this thing has under 20hrs on it....Period. Picked it up for $1500 off e b a y and still have to go get it. Pretty sweet, eh?

Fuzzy

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Sorry, posted the wrong reply to this thread. 

'94 WR250.  One of the guys in my enduro club loved this bike.  He won a SERA B class championship on that bike.

The engine was very strong.  In fact, it could be a handful in super tight or technical situations. For more open stuff the thing was really fast.

The only negatives was that ergonomically, it was a little wide.  For some reason or another, Yamaha has never been good at shaping gas tanks, and that was true on this bike too.  The seat felt wide and the tank was wide. 

If I remember correctly, Clarke had a good aftermarket tank for this bike that didn't cut mileage too much.  I think some people threw stock YZ tanks and seats on this bike too.

Good luck with the new bike.

Last edited:

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Sounds like this will be a good compliment to my KDX which I was hoping. You can't really get better than that thing for real tight and techinical stuff, but it sounds like the WR will be much more at home during scrambles. Will check into the tanks if this thing feels like a hog.

THANKS!

Fuzzy

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
I like this bike alot, but I am going to like my new Gas Gas DE 300 even better. I had some suspension work done by pro-action. I really liked how plush my suspension was. It made me much more confident when charging through rocky sections. I was in the process of buying an IMS 93-95 YZ tank. This tank is alot narrower then the stock tank.If you go with any after market tanks to slim down the ergonomics, you will have to get a 93-95 YZ seat. The body style from th 93-95 YZ are the same as the 94-97 WR. Switching to the yz tank will allow you to get further forward on the bike which should help you turn better. You will also be able to grip the seat and tank better when climbing hills. So like I was saying I was in the proccess of switching to the YZ tank. I could not find the YZ seat though. I checked some cycle salvages but nothing came up. I must say I was pissed off,now the bike is for sale . The best thing is that in 3 weeks I will have a new bike and it will be the **** !! Thanks to Jim and Gabriel over at Smackover Motorsports. Enoy the WR man if it had a smaller gas tank I would of gladly kept it and had Eric gore work his magic with one of his big bore kit ,not that the bike needed it but after eight years I deserved a new bike. the WR was a very reliable stead indeed late.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I had a 97 WR 250 (Im not Lissa this is her boyfriend Rob) which is the same as the 94 except for a change in the ignition system. I loved that bike! It was stone reliable and fast. I fixed the tank problem by switching to a carbon fibre tank made by Pirie Composites. He makes the c/f guards for E Line Offroad. It was a little expensive but it was the best money I spent on it! I also had to switch to a YZ seat.

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
Just jokeing Rob when did you purchase the seat and tank. What do you ride now. the 97 had the cool blue tank,shrouds,fender,and number plate right. I had a blast on mine as well.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
I have a 97 WR250 and to be honest I think it is a beautiful machine. I last raced a 81 CR125 in 81/82 and the difference is amazing...I know, I know bikes have changed a lot and its probably not as "whiz bang" as some of the new stuff out there but I ride in tight eastern woods with lots of hills, rocks,roots and mud as well as the occasional woods road and this machine has NEVER disappointed me. Its smooth, powerful and reliable, period.
I was looking into newer machines but in the end I decided to keep mine and put some cash into it to make it like new again (top end, bottom end, tranny bearings, seals, yadda yadda yadda) also I run 14/52 gearing for our area (there's only 1 place where I can hit the top of 5th for about a mile)
The previous owner had the forks revalved and a gold valve installed in the shock and according to guys I ride with ( they have newer 4 strokes) they find it very plush.
I think you will enjoy the bike
If you have any other questions let me know

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
its a very good running powerfull bike but they are a little wide and very
top heavy

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Hey all. Thanks for all your replys! Think I'm going to love this bike! Cheap alternative to a 98-up 250EXC which is what I was looking for. Plus there is a local Yamaha dealer, and no KTMers anywhere. Don't think I can beat the deal I got. You can see the bike here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6718&item=2408016470&rd=1

The guy said he only installed new graphics due to yellowing of the old ones, and only sold it due to the fact that it was a complimenting Yamaha to his Banshee(Quad rider, obviously). He switched to a 400EX so he bought a CR 250 to keep his matching bikes...LOL. His loss is my gain!

Will look into slimming this pig down and will probably revalve next winter to plushen it up a bit. Will spring for my weight and ride on it for a season to get a good feel for it.

Thanks again for all your posts! Will post a ride report once she's in my possesion....

Fuzzy

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Found an OEM seat for a 94 YZ250. $215 - OUCH! Oh well, at least I found one. It's a discontinued item.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic.asp?schem_dept_id=426572&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM++%28Stock%29+Parts&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1994&model_dept_mfr=Yamaha&model_dept_id=410696&model_dept_name=YZ250F1

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Matt, I bought the tank and seat when the bike was new. I actually bought the bike as a leftover in november of 97. It had the blue front fender,tank and shrouds. I had a head light on mine for enduros. Im riding a 02 YZ 250 2 stroke now. I wish I couldve kept my 97 WR as a back up. I have been keeping an eye out for another.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
WOW I saw the pics on e bay and it appears to be a very well looked after machine. How come the "other guys" always seem to find the prime deals???

Congrats and we are looking foward to your ride report!!

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Rob, where/what brand headlight did you use? I'm looking to outfit this bike with a head/taillight.

THANKS!

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I used a UFO headlight, it is a replica of the current KDX headlight. You could use any style that you like though. Watch the brake hose, it was a little tough getting it to clear the light. Run it on the inside of the mounting straps and you should be fine. As for the rear light, I used the Acerbis under fender liscense plate holder/light. Similar to the KTMs. Acerbis as well as UFO make many different styles to choose from. Dont forget the voltage regulator.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Hey I believe there is a power valve governor mod that can be done on this year only. The mod was to take 5-ball ramp and switch it to the 4-ball for the 90-93 bikes. I don't know if the WR had any changes or a different set up than the 94YZ250 but if it is it works well at taming the engine for trail use.

Steve

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Splatt.....Looked this up on the fiche at Yamaha of Troy. From what I can see the 90-93 YZ's and WR's both have 4 ball "ramps" In 94 the WR still has the 4 ball ramp, but the YZ has the 5 ball ramp. I won't be able to understand how this powervalve works until I look at it, but do you think this mod might have partained to using the YZ's 5 ball ramp? I would guess the latter....that this mod is for switching the YZ's 5 ball back to a 4 ball for trail use(IE already done on the WR).

Good info!

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I didn't know which one they used in the WR. I do know going to the 4-ball set up is a major improvement for trails on the YZ's. Eric Gorr's book mentions some port work to improve the tractability on the WR's.

Steve

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
My 97 was a tractor, all I did was add a flywheel weight, Aktive reeds and changed the gearing to 13/50. I found the WR trans too widely spaced for our extremely tight woods. I like a more explosive power delivery. The 97 got a different ignition than the 94-96 WRs. We updated my brothers 95 with the newer ignition which smoothed out the power delivery. I used a 360 main and a 37.5 pilot. This was at sea level.
Rob

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Thanks again guys....

Will look for a '97 ignition--maybe this will help w/ the fact that these bikes are notorious for finicky jetting/plug fouling. Thanks for the jetting baseline also! I'm pretty close to sea level.

Interesting to see that you added even more FWW, I guess more can never hurt in the woods, especially w/ punchy gearing.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Rob, do you know what was different about the ignition? IE Was the CDI, or coil, or both different? I found them as NOS, but these parts are about $80/ea. Guess it wuold never hurt to change it all out!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…