94 WR250 Set up

94 wr250

Nov 11, 2008
New to dirt rider and have a few questions. I just bought a 94 wr250 and I am trying to get it set for tight trail riding. I am taking the suspension to Devol racing to have that set up, but I want to get the carb and pipe dialed in as well. I bought the bike from my brother so what I know is that the bike was hard to restart after it has been riden awhile. He did notice the plugs would foul often. The bike has a Mikuni PJ G8DGDJE Flat Slide carb and I am not sure what type of pipe, it is rusted and dented. My questions are what is the best pipe to put on as well as carb and type of plugs? Also looking for best front and rear sprocket size.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like piston/rings are getting worn out. When the engine heats up the cylinder expands and compression drops off making it hard to start. Spend the money you wanted buy a pipe with and get the motor freshened up so you can ride it with out getting stranded somewhere.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Hard to start and fouling plugs indicates that it is not jetted properly, probably running too rich.

I recommend starting with adjusting the "needle". Remove the cap off the carburetor (where the throttle cable comes in) and with it you will remove the throttle slide. In the center of the throttle slide is a long needle. The needle attaches at the same point the throttle cable does. A small clip adjusts the height of the needle. Moving the clip UP lowers the needle, which leans out the mixture for mid range throttle.

Rebuilding the top end is a good idea in general. If you do it now it will cost you around $250. If you wait until the engine seizes it will cost a lot more.

Rod

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…