94 Xr 200 carb perpetually dirty idle circuit

mas2de

May 3, 2009
My XR 200 has always been a great bike. But every once in a while it starts to run like crap and we have to clean out the idle circuit. :bang: It doesn't seem to matter what we do, it just keeps clogging, and we keep cleaning it out and it is getting monotonous. :ahhh: We had the stock filter and replaced it (because I cleaned it with gas which the stock filter didn't like and had an allergic reaction) with a Uni (which loved to let dirt through no matter the oil on it). We now have the stock air box and new stock air filter on it and it is back up to its old tricks again. We clean it regularly and take care of it but it won't quit.
Is there any reason that we're not seeing or is it just something those carbs do? And is there any way to fix it?
Thank you,
Mike

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Clean gas, clean petcock filter, and a fresh inline fuel filter.
Also clean all the float bowl breather tubes, or just replace them and route accordingly.

mas2de

May 3, 2009
all those are always good, and the inline filter is always clear. I don't think we've ever cleaned out the breather tube before. In fact it may have even been lost from being on and off. I'll clean that before I ride next and we'll see if that helps. Thank you.
Mike

Top Bottom