roundel

May 2, 2000
Just looking for some honest opinions....
I love this bike ... but I am riding in Colorado (western conditions) some motocross, and off road close to Denver (very whooped out) and the suspension is killing me. I should have bought a newer ktm with wp suspension but .... it was a good deal. The bike has marzocchi 45 magnum on the from and ohlins rear. To lessen the bottoming over jumps and whoops I have stiffened the suspension with more preload and heavier oil.
Now I have a woods bike that is good for neither woods nor motocross!
My question is : should I spend the time and the money to revalve and possibly respring this bike or should I give up and just buy a 98/99 300mxc ?
Will the suspension be that much better?

thanks

------------------

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Go for the MXC. If you can see your way through to a new 4-Stroke KTM MXC400 or 520 you will have about the best combination KTM has to offer for our area. I ride the local tracks here in Colorado, Rampart Range, and where ever else I can.

The EXC's are suspended too soft for this area if you are an aggressive rider. More East Coast or tight trails. The MXC's fit better. Also the larger 300 has an easier time in the higher altitudes should you indulge. For longer trail rides the MXC's have bigger gas tanks on the Four Strokes. Something like 3.4 gallons.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
hey is the plastic on your 95 stock? i have had problems getting plastic for my 94 ktm 125 and was wondering what the 250 looked like and if any of the plastic would work on my bike. thanx for any help.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Send your suspension to Jeremy at MX-Tech. I had similar problems and am VERY happy whith the results. The 45mm fork is a very good design they just screwed it up sometime in '95 by putting a slot in it instead of holes as the early versions had. Jer will fix this for ya' and put a big smile on your face. If you get a new bike I'll bet you will run into similar problems, the only way to get it right it to have it setup for you and your conditions by a pro.

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
Keep the bike and get the suspension done. My friend has a 95 300 EXC and I have the 2000 300EXC and his suspension is very good if set up well. I like mine a little better but he is set up softer. I think the engine is friendlier for tight riding and it's a very competitive bike.
$.02 given.

------------------

roundel

May 2, 2000
thanks for your input..... I really would like to keep the bike.... I just figured spending the money on suspension work was an exercise in futility. I will call mx-tech and get some prices on fork work.
thanks again !

oh, also the plastic on a 95 is the same from 93-97 with several color changes. That is for the 250-360cc models .... I can't Imagine the plastic could be much different for a 125. Acerbis makes all the plastic for my bike in white ... and UFO make white as well as orange. If I were looking for replacements and they were not in the parts listings .... I would Go to the local KTM dealer... browse the used bike section with a tape measure !!
They are prob pretty close !

------------------

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I'm starting to look around for a bike and didn't know any year KTM since late 80s didn't have WP suspension. I know my old 89 did. So what years do not have WP?

------------------

rda

Jun 20, 2000
i just sold my 95 250 exc, i bought it used in 95, i raced and trail rode it extensively til just last summer, i figure it had over 10k miles on it! i had the forks revalved by krw in ohio, it made a big differance on the plushness. i never was totally happy with the bottem end power of this bike, i put a dynoport pipe on and adjusted the power valve which helped, but it still felt pretty weak after riding a buddys 95 300.

i have an 01 300 exc now, no comparison, i have been dropping a lot less points at the enduro's, and keeping up with guys that used to leave me in the dust. of course my riding is differant than yours, i ride alot of tight technical stuff.

------------------

Top Bottom