lastoman

Aug 19, 2006
Is it possible to swap a 96-01 tank and seat onto a 95 YZ 250? I really like the bike, but would like to change the squareness of the seat and lack of replacement options for the fading graphics. Has anyone ever tried this? If so how hard is it? I am not afraid of doing some modifications, so let the ideas fly.

thanks

Oct 16, 2006
Nope, won't work. I was a parts department manager for a Yamaha shop for many years, and I am very familiar with those models. The '93-'95 tank and seat would probably interchange between years, but the '96-'98s were totally different. The radiator location, tank and seat mounts, and frame geometry will prohibit an interchange. Even though they look similar, the '99s were even not interchangeable because of frame, engine and geometry changes.
Hope that helps.

lastoman

Aug 19, 2006
Oh, well, Asthetics are not as important as performance anyway. I just figured I'd check, so that I didn't end up wasting good money on incompatable parts. Thanks

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
You could still pull this off. The engine mounts stayed the same virtually forever. See if the engine mounts match the newer bikes. Buy a frame and whatever else you need from that auction site.......

However, I have seen soem very nice yz's going for very little money. You coudl probably sell yours and upgrade to a new bike for a grand.

lastoman

Aug 19, 2006
Well, my current frame is dire need of a paint job so I already had planned to strip it down and have it powdercoated this winter. Rcannon, you have given me another option to consider.

thanks

Top Bottom