bandit1200

Aug 12, 2003
sometimes when i kick my kickstarter it feels as if it slips and does not turn the motor over. it is not a problem with the splines on the kickstarter itelf. i marked the kickstarter and the shaft with a sharpie marker to see if that was what was slipping and found that is not my problem...anyone have any ideas?

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
my 95 cr250 and 92 cr250 both did this and on the 92 i first replaced all the ratcheting parts and the spring (the teeth on the new and old parts looked the same the teeth were not very sharp)and it still sliped some times so i took it apart again and i put both the old and new spring back in together to increase the force between the ratcheting teeth and in both bikes this fixed the problum and they both never gave me any trouble again as a matter of fact i sold the 95 to a friend of mine who i still ride with and to this day all is fixed im not sure if this is the right way to fix the problum but it worked great for me.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i tryed putting a washer between the spring and the gear and it did not seem to do anything thats why i went to the full double spring but peer is right try the washer first if it doen't work you might end up like me with two stock springs if you dare

bandit1200

Aug 12, 2003
do you mean the inner or outer spring. from what i can tell looking on partsfish it seems if there is a spring on the bottom of the assembly and one on the top. the one on top is visible with only the side case off.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
there is two springs one is just the return spring this is not the one.the spring i doubled up on is the one behind the ratcheting gear itself its the one that pushes the gears togeher.to help you understand what part i am talking about go to (just right clik and copy then paste the following link)

http://216.37.204.206/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp?Type=13&A=32&B=9

and its #4 in the pic. on the left also know as part number# 28223-KA4-740
when you get the spring you will see how soft it is and you will realize that putting in two does not increase the presure all that much just enough to keep the gears from sliping i hope this helps.

Top Bottom