95 KTM 250 E/XC - Good Bike/Good Price?

Boss_429

Jul 20, 2003
I'm looking at buying a first dirtbike. My brother-in-law has found a 95 KTM 250 E/XC. The bike is supposed to be in excellent condition with a very strong engine. I don't know anything about dirt bikes, let alone a KTM. Is $1350 a good price for this bike?

BTW, I have riden street bikes for 16 years now so I do have experience. Just not in the dirt.

Thanks

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
As most people who know me here will attest - I have ORANGE blood. The early 90 KTM's had electrical issues. I do not know if those electrical issues lasted all the way to '95 or not. The price is a good sounding price, but I think you can do just as well on price with a more dependable brand (for that year ?) say Honda. Actually I think in the mid 90's Honda were probably the most dependable bikes made.

If you can get better information on the electrical on this bike than I have speculated on - listen.

Good LucK!

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
The only electrical problems I encountered on my 95 KTM 300 were due to zip ties wearing through the wiring loom and shorting out on the frame. Thats just normal wear and tear. Other than that no problem, very reliable and strong bike. Others may have a different story but my cousin also had a 95 as well and he had no problems either.

Boss_429

Jul 20, 2003
I've found where they sell new seat covers and graphics for 96 and on. Can any of these be put on a 95. I guess the purple/yellow/white isn't that bad but I'd sure like to have the choice to change to orange if I wanted to.

And thanks for the responses!

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
You should be able to get graphics and seat covers and plastics for white KTM's still. CEET make a purple cover, and Throttle Jockey had some good graphics kits. 1996 and 1997 graphics, seat covers and orange plastics will all bolt straight onto a 1995 as they use the same chassis.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The ignition was a weak link and is a pretty spendy break. Other than that if it's been well cared for it should be a good ride. Keep in mind parts will not be sitting at the dealer waiting for you to pick them up but most can get parts in a few days.

Top Bottom