bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
1995 rm 250, I was trying to check my oil level as I had a seal leaking for a few days and I loosened my triple clamps and unscrewed the cap but when it gets to the last thread the cap pulls back down. I have showa inverted forks if anyone knows whats going on here it would be much appreciated thank you in advance :think: if you need any more info just let me know

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm assuming you have the weight off of the bike? You need to lift the wheel up toward the triple clamps.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
i have the bike on a stand with the front tire off of the ground and the vent screw is off, if thats what you mean by weight off of the bike. I don't usually work on my forks but i am not sending them in until the season is over and i don't want to ride w/ no oil in it. when i get to that last thread it seems like something is pulling it back down.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Like I said, lift the wheel towards the fender. You will want to loosen both caps. Just put something under the wheel to hold it up a bit. Dont set the bike down or the forks will collapse.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
OK I see what your saying I will try it after work, thanks allot JOE maybe I will get a few more rides in yet.

Much appreciated,
Brian

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
Teach Me Something

IndyYZ85 said:
The damper rod is connected to the top caps... Just so you know.
yea found that out!!! Thanks though :cool:

At least I didn't mess anything up got them back together and re adjusted my compression and they are great now, but while I'm here when I pulled the damper rods up through the fork there is a spot towards the top of the rod where it looks like you could get a wrench on (2 flat spots) but it's all marred up from channel locks or something like that from the previous owner. Is that to remove the rods? is it ok that they are marred up right there as it doesn't look like it will contact anything? just curious, forks are the only thing I normally will not touch (leave that to the pros) but like I said I was low on oil. Now that I have seen the inside of them they intrigue me to learn about them since I really don't know too much about inverted forks OR cartridge :fft:

Thanks Indy/Joe "I was lost now I see" :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, aren't used bikes fun? Some guy thought it would be better to use pliers to try to hold the damper rod rather than a wrench. People are amazing. The only thing that will effect is the ability to get a wrench on it in the future. Once you have torn a set of forks down and see how they work they're not that intimidating.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Before I got my bike, I was intimidated by changing tires and working on forks.. It's really not a big deal, so long as you have a service manual.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
It is quite suprizing what some people will do. I've already had to re-tap many bolts/holes on this thing I think he used air tools and vise-grips for most his work AARRGGG WHY WHY WHY if you take your time things seem to go allot better and even faster than trying to rush through things. Some people just dont have the patience I have been a mechanic for 8 yrs and I dislike working on cars for the most part but I seem to enjoy working on my bike I just take my time and read how it works. yea there is all sorts of 13mm and 15mm that do not belong on a bike I have gone through all of it now exept I cannot seem to get one of the bolts out of the rear linkage it spins and will move back and forth about 1/8 inch but will not come out don't see how it could get expanded in the middle if anything it should be streached I'm just gonna have to get it out of there somehow as I would like to put grease zerts in when I send my suspension in to mcr I will have a few days to mess with it then any ideas as to why that bolt will not come out?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If the seals were bad and water got into the linkage, there may be rust built up in ring just inside the seals. I cant think of any other reason right now, maybe someone else can throw an idea your way. Have you tried some loving persuasion with a soft hammer?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I had to use quite a bit of persuasion on the bolt that holds the link to the bottom of the frame on my honda..

I had to beat it all the way out... Even when I got it within the last 1/2 inch or so it still wouldn't come out without the hammer...

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
Some more persuasion huh I can handle that!! Yea it's got to be rust in there I can't think of anything else that would cause that. The other needle bearings were fairly dry when I got it so it doesn't suprise me I guess.

Thanks guys I'll have to try some more "loving persuasion" when I get time.

Brian

Top Bottom