95 Toyota Tacoma squeak in the rear end

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I have a 2wd, automatic Tacoma and every time I go over a large bump, or g-out I can hear a very loud squeak coming from the rear suspension (leaf springs). Is this anything I should worry about? I did a brief visual inspection when it started happening (about 5 months ago), and didn't see anything loose, damaged, etc.

Also, my idle speed seems quite low (around 600 rpm indicated on the tach). The sucker vibrates quite a bit at this engine speed. I only need to bump it up a hundred rpm or so for it to go away. How is this done on my truck w/ EFI?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I have the same squeak on my T-100. The springs, being raw steel by now - especially in between, develops rust. Maybe that's the noise source. It's been that way for some years; quiets up with WD-40 but comes back soon.

Idle? You shouldn't be idle, but busy. heck, my wife makes sure that doesn't happen.

Your manual doesn't show a method of raising the idle? Check the throttle stop for adjustment.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
all toyotas make the creaking sounds, if you're too worried about it you can replace the spring hanger bushings which quiets it down to an extent.
Idle speed is adjusted how placelast recommended, a small stop screw on the throttle stop.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
By hood, do you mean between my ears? If so, you're wrong. I oil the wheel at least once a week. It's part of my regimented maintenance schedule:

Daily: feed hamster four carrots (two up each nostril). If he doesn't eat them by lunchtime, save them for dinner. No pudding snack until he eats at least three

Every Other Day: clean cage with a hearty "blow". No eating the findings.

Weekly: oil wheel by inserting oil can up nose & giving two pumps.

Monthly: Conjugal visits w/ Richard Gere's hamster. Recommend drinking a liter of Cuervo to make the "exchange" less traumatic

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…