steve200

Apr 5, 2001
I am going to be looking at 2 different 300s next week with hopes of making a purchace decision. One is a 95 and the other a 98. Can anyone give me some info on the differences between the two years? Also, any known issues with either year? Anything particular I should pay attention to? Both have new sprockets, chain, tires, and plastic.

C.C.Rider

May 7, 2001
I have a 96 EXC 300 which should be similar to the 95. It has a Boysen Rad valve and an FMF pipe, so perhaps this won't apply, but the bike has excellent torque and response. I've only had the bike a short while so I'm still dialing in the suspension, but it's getting close. One thing I would change is that the handling is very slow. I've heard the 98's are quicker handling though I havn't ridden one. Also, the 98 has a linkless rear suspension, and I've heard mixed reviews about it. The rear brake on my bike is kind of touchy, and it's easy to kill the engine. Overall, though, i think it's a great bike. The powerband is amazing, and will make you forget other ills. I don't think you can really go wrong with either bike. Good luck!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I would look closer at the '98 than '95. To be honest, because of appearance #1, and the 50mm wpforks #2. On the '98 ask if the shock has been through the recall and updated. Too bad it's not a '99. There is nothing like the juice clutch!

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Steve,
I'm assuming there is probably $1000-$1200 difference in the selling price of the two, but if money is not the determining factor, and assuming the mechanical condition is equal, definitely go with the '98!

However, I believe what you're asking us (yourself), is if the '95 would satisfy your needs.

If you're not looking to race, then the '95 will probably do all you ask of it, and even with a rebuild you'd have about the initial cost of the '98 invested.

If you are planning to race, then go with the '98. But remember, if the '98 has not been properly maintained,:( you could easily sink another thousand bucks getting everything up to snuff. :eek:
But this might still be the better deal if you are planning to race.

Since both bikes have new plastics, and probably graphics, they both should be attractive cosmetically, so this should not sway your decision.

Drill the sellers about the number of hours on the engine, repairs, rebuilds, and especially maintenance. Ride both bikes, hard, if you can. Make an informed decision based on the results. Don't buy just on emotion. We all, by nature, want the newest bike we can get.:)

If your decision is based on sound judgement, you'll be getting a great bike either way.

Good luck, and post pictures!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I wouldn't loose much sleep over the '95 NOT being "competative" in a racing situation because there are very few people that can actually run any bike over 250cc at 100% all the time. Sure the '98 may be a bit lighter and have the PDS but if it's not been redone the PDS can be a PITA. The whole looks thing is also a matter of preference I like the way my '96 looks just fine
View

Sure it's not the latest but it's paid for AND has a host of extras that I couldn't really consider adding every couple of years to a new ride. Bottom line, choose the one that is in the best condition, has been maintained, and will meet your needs. If it leaves some extra green in your pocket for other stuff, well that's even better.

(I should clarify that I plan to get a new bike this year myself so I'm not saying old is always better, just not always bad either.):)

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Patman is right about the older bike still being competitive.

I was thinking more on the line of parts availabilty. '95 is three generations back on a lot of the parts.

Patman, nice looking bike!
I'm curious who you got your Ceet graphics/seat set from? That just might be the next suit for my SX.:D

Ohh! and the floor! I think I can see my reflection in it!:)

Swirk

May 17, 2000
Patman... I have the same identical bike, right down to the graphics. Man, I thought I had a one of a kind.

CC_Rider... I got those same graphics from MX South. The web page is http://www.mxsouth.com/ceet/ceektmmis.htm

They were in stock and I got them in about 4 days.

Steve200, I have a '96 300exc just like Patman. The biggest issues that I have had is getting parts when they break. Some of the parts are the same throughout the years, but some parts they don't make anymore. To get them you need to find someone who has them in stock. Sometimes not so easy. For example the graphics that Patman has, it took me a couple of weeks to find someone who had ANY graphics for a '96. I also had a tough time getting plastic. I have had similar luck with other parts. So, my advice is to look very closely at the '95 and make sure you don't get any "surprises" when you own it. If you do go with the '95 make sure that you have a good dealer close by, just in case.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks for the compliments. It looks even better now that I added my "Dirtrider.net" fender stickers ;)

I also got my graphics from MXSouth in just a couple of days, great guys to mail order from. I also have a local house of orange that is VERY good at taking care of my part woes. If they don't have / can't get the part Lyle Lovett Motorsports in Houston, H&H in Corpus Christi, or H&H in Georgia have all been good backups. I've been lucky that everything I have needed has been available or can get from the aftermarket such a e-rider. The floor was shiney because I has just hosed out the garage ;)

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
In support of patman's point, there is no such thing as a bargain dirt bike IMO. Condition is everything, regardless of year. The basic parts are normally OK, but there are so many wear items on a dirt bike that buying one in poor shape for a cheaper price will in the end most likeluy cost you more than spending 1000-1500 more up front for a like new bike.

PDS is nice from a mainenance perspective, that is for sure. Also the 98 on bikes have refined ergos and slimmer plastic. Nothing wrong with the older ones though. I am keeping my '99 for a long time cuz the new ones are not that different and mine is finally set up the way I like it.

BP

Jun 25, 2000
Steve,
I had the '95 and now I have the '98 300. I can honestly say that I am no faster or better a rider with the '98 than I was with the '95.
Even though the color, plastic and the rear suspension are different the simularities between the two are amazing. The rear suspension on the '95 is better. Although the forks on the '95 are Marzzochi 45mm and the '98 has 50mm WP they work almost the same.
The carbs are the same and respond to the same jetting changes and jets. Wheels, brakes,handlebars,throttles,levers,etc. are the same.
My opinion would to be get the bike that is in better overall mechanical condition.
Good Luck and Happy Trails !!!

BP

Top Bottom