mboyd1

Jun 1, 2006
I have a 95 WR 250. When the bike sits with the gas on, the motor fills up with gas. It even starts collecting in the pipe. I took apart the carb, pulled the float, and cleaned all the jets. The needle and main jet look fine. The valve under the float seems to be sealing good. I took the valve assembly out, got a little gas in the very top of the neck, pushed the small valve closed, and it did not leak. Somthing is allowing the fuel to run straight into the motor, but I do not know what it could be.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
the float hieght and/or needle and seat would be the only possibilities I can think of

did you check the float height? if it is set to high when the bike is setting on an angle like when it is on its kickstand it will never shut off the flow of fuel

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would say that you have at least two problems.

The first problem is that the float valve is not shutting off the flow of gas. As said before, it could be a mis-adjusted float height or the valve could be bad. It is also possible that the gasket under the float valve is bad. How long does it take before there is a problem? If it takes days then it could be a very slow leak. If it happens in minutes then I would say float level (or a bad float).

The second problem is that even when the float sticks the gas should NOT flow into the engine case. The carburetor has an overflow tube that should dump the gas onto the ground well before it got high enough to run into the carburetor throat and down into the engine. Some well intentioned but misinformed people try to stop the flow of gas onto their garage floor by either plugging the over flow tube or routing it up high. Your carburetor should have several small hoses coming off vent lines. These hoses MUST be routed directly down without any "up" travel.

Rod

Top Bottom