Mar 24, 2009
Does anyone have or can anyone tell me what the testing specs are for testing a stator in a 95 YZ125? Or could you tell me where to find them. I have no spark and don't want to just throw all kinds of money at things if they are not broken. Thanks for you help!!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Service manual and a multi tester. All the connectors are clean and have die electric grease on them? All the ground spots are good. Did you try it with the kill switch disconnected? Vintage Bob

Mar 24, 2009
Thanks JOE you are so helpful... wish there was a service manual around that i could purchase near by...tried that route or i wouldn't have asked.

Yes i did try with the kill switch disconnected and same old story of no spark. I just don't want to have to wait a week for my manual and then another week for what ever part it is i need to order.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Like FFR said, check all the ground connections and also - check the coil primary and secondary resistance. Sometimes the plug comnnection on the coil wire is a culprit (loose or not connected correctly) not allowing volage through. I have a manual for a 97 YZ125 and I'll throw some numbers down for ya. By tomrorrow morning. BTW I can't confirm the 95 specs are the same as 97 but most of the YZ125's in that time frame were close if not the same.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
DisAintRcktScience said:
Thanks JOE you are so helpful... wish there was a service manual around that i could purchase near by...tried that route or i wouldn't have asked.

Yes i did try with the kill switch disconnected and same old story of no spark. I just don't want to have to wait a week for my manual and then another week for what ever part it is i need to order.
http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=827&title=Clymer+Yamaha+YZ125+1994-2001

You can wait a week for the manual or guess what's wrong then wait a week for the wrong part. Then repeat the process. Then repeat the process..........glad I could help. ;)

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Coil check
Pri coil res use + test lead on orange lead and - test lead on black for .14 to .20 ohms (1 ohm scale)
Sec coil res-use + test lead on spark plug lead and - test lead on orange lead for 6.7 to 10.1 kohms (thousand ohm scale)

CDI mag check
Pick up coil res use + test lead on white/red lead and - test lead on white/blue lead for 248-372 ohms (100 ohm scale)
Source coil 1 res use + test lead on black/red lead and - test lead on green/white lead for 720-1080 ohm (100 ohm scale)
Source 2 coil res use + test lead on green/blue lead and - test lead on black lead for 44-66 ohm (10 ohm scale.

That's 5 tests altogether assuming you checked the kill switch and all grounds. etc. The tests are performed through the plug connectors. If the colors don't match you'll have to find a manual for the 95 as this is for a 97. Hope it all works out let us know. P.S. Usually if all those check out it's the CDI :(

Mar 24, 2009
Uchytil said:
Coil check
Pri coil res use + test lead on orange lead and - test lead on black for .14 to .20 ohms (1 ohm scale)
Sec coil res-use + test lead on spark plug lead and - test lead on orange lead for 6.7 to 10.1 kohms (thousand ohm scale)

CDI mag check
Pick up coil res use + test lead on white/red lead and - test lead on white/blue lead for 248-372 ohms (100 ohm scale)
Source coil 1 res use + test lead on black/red lead and - test lead on green/white lead for 720-1080 ohm (100 ohm scale)
Source 2 coil res use + test lead on green/blue lead and - test lead on black lead for 44-66 ohm (10 ohm scale.

That's 5 tests altogether assuming you checked the kill switch and all grounds. etc. The tests are performed through the plug connectors. If the colors don't match you'll have to find a manual for the 95 as this is for a 97. Hope it all works out let us know. P.S. Usually if all those check out it's the CDI :(

Thanks very much for the info. I'm glad someone figured out what I was looking for. The colors didn't match up but it was enough to figure out that one of the source coils has no res...the Pri coil and Pick up checked out great. Thanks again!!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
when did this "BUY A MANUAL" thing start around here? i dont remember having half the threads around here being lectures. used to be if you didnt have the information you left the thread alone, if you had it you helped, now...if you cant acquire a manual for whatever reason you sit in the corner and think about what youve done while MULTIPLE people tell you to buy a manual. people come here for help with an activity we all love, in todays economy we might just give some folks a break. there are some repairs that are too much without a manual, but as we can see this isnt one of them(see post#7)

Top Bottom