96 300exc jetting for summer

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
I'm looking for jetting info to get me in the ballpark for summer riding. Since I am new to two-strokes I would look to rely on any of you to help get me close. I am looking for proper jetting for 60-90 degrees, <1000ft. All stock except FMF Fatty pipe. The bike runs good on top, it just needs to be cleaned it up between 0-1/2 throttle.

Thanks

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
I'm not real familiar with the '96 but if you post your current jetting I'll bet either I someone else could get you real close without too much trouble. The quick fix would be to drop your pilot one, do a ride and feel, then move the clip position up one or more notch(s) if necessary. It would be helpful to know what needle you have and the current air screw position as well.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
OK, I will check the current jetting and report it back here over the next couple days. Thanks for sending me in the right direction!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
do a search on jetting on the holeshot forum as well as here on DRN - lots of posts on this topic. I would suggest you consider a straight taper needle and a #6.5 or #7 slide - did the trick for me! Went from major fouling and spooge in the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle range...to darn near perfect. Slide change required going up on the main jet a couple sizes. I can see if I kept notes on the specifics of the setup i ended up with and post them here (i no longer have my 97) Your pipe may have an impact though as i had a stock pipe and silencer.

(I got that advice from these forums so I cant take any credit for it! Strick here on DRN and James Dean on Holeshot get all the credit!)

BP

Jun 25, 2000
Here's what me and my friends use on our '94-'98 Ktm 300s:

172 or 175 main jet

42 or 45 pilot jet

N85D needle 2nd clip from top

1 1/2 or 2 turns out on the air screw.

quality oil mixed at 40:1 with 92/93 octane pump gas

we live in Ohio, approx. same temps and approx. 400-1500 ft. elevation

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…