bll

Aug 24, 2006
i heard the 92 and newer CR motors work in any chassis, can anyone confirm that?
i am thinking of putting a 96 motor in an 02 chassis.

i am looking for a motor with a more broad power spread and better low end.

i have a line on a nice 96 250 for about a grand. if the motor swap works then i can **** everything left over and make as much as my money back as possible.

is that route worth it? i really like the 02 chassis and i have it setup right for me with 05 450 forks, gold valves and then all the woods goodies.

the other cheap option is just to get a 00 cr250, swap the front ends (the 05 450 forks had a 2 mm offset at the axle for better steering that year and they work well for me in the woods, plus it has a bigger piston than the 02 stock forks)

the final and most expensive option is to go to the 05 yz250. they are pretty plentiful around here from 2800 to 3500 depending on condition, but then i have to get all the woods parts and set it up for me, so you can see that starts to get expensive. and furthermore if i am going to spend all that cash then it makes more sense to me to upgrade my motocross bike, 05 cr450.

got all that?

feedback is appreciated.

thanks

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
If you've got access to a TIG welder, all things are possible.

If you expect a bolt-in, you're in for a rude awakening.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Put it in an 00 or 01 chassis...or just get the 00 like you say. They handle just as well as the 02 with proper setup. You can even put most of the 02 and up plastic on the 00 frame if looks are what you are after. Forks, triple clamps, shock (00-04 anyway), all fit.

I have an 00/01 CR (2 bikes have morphed into one over the years) and I like it as much as the 02 I have.

bll

Aug 24, 2006
thanks for the feedback fellas, here is my current thinking. i'll be on the look out for CR 00's and 01's, when i go look at whichever turns up first i'll be trailering the 02 with me to do side by side comparo's.

then'll be able to rightly decide on the old honda or the yz.

thanks

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
To be honest, the difference between the 00/01 engine and the 02 isn't worth the money you are going to spend to get an 00/01. I know people nit-pick the topic to death...but they ride far more similar than different. Get your 02 jetted properly and put the heaviest flywheel weight on it you can get (I think 10 oz fits with no grinding) and ride it.

I rode Whyzee's 05 YZ250 and it was "different", had strong low end power, and was a great bike...but I can't say I'd prefer that in the woods over the CR.

Have you thought about a 4-stroke woods bike?

Top Bottom