96-current XR250R cam chain wear

mpsuda

Dec 8, 1999
Has any else experienced accelerated cam chain wear? I have 96 XR250R and am putting in my 3rd chain. I replace the chain when I cannot pull the tip of the adjuster up. The chain has stretched such that this part of the tensioner has dropped down beyond reach. The cam may not be in imminent danger of slipping yet but I feel the chain has stretched enough. The ’96 and beyond chain is thinner (less side plates). My ’92 wore better. I am getting tired of this and I am thinking of switching to a different 4-stroke.

2500 miles chain replace
5500 miles chain, all sprockets tensioner and guide replaced (thinking this was the cause)
9100 miles chain is being replaced

My rings are wearing out at the same interval. Piston clearance is in tolerance.

No other parts wear.

I run Golden Spectro synthetic blend oil 20w-50 and change every 500 miles. I change the oil filter every other time (Honda or Fram). I have the original clutch plates in so this is not dirtying up the oil. I keep a fairly clean air filter. In the last rebuild interval I started running filter skins, which reduced filter cleaning. I clean the filter after every two skins. I trail ride and don’t run the bike extremely hard. It does get revved from time to time. A Thumper 280 kit (Wiseco) was installed after 2500 miles. I had one on my ’92 also.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would provide as much information as possible to minimize questions.

Thanks

Mike

Top Bottom