jc

Sep 22, 2001
Let me say first I am new to KTMs. I have two problems- I seem to lose coolant (boil over I think). I have never had this prob. w/past bikes (even motocross bikes in the woods) Does the exc run hot? Any known common problems w/water pumps? The bike flat out rips but it is not near as "smooth" as my KDX on top. Jetting? Also I get a drip of oil from my shift shaft or counter shaft. (must determine later) Can either seal be replaced w/out splitting the cases? Thanks for any help or sug. for/on the 96 exc 300.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
On the overheating problem, I extended the shrouds out an inch to let in more air. Used rubber shock bushings and longer bolts. This cured my boil over problem. Also use fresh distilled water with water wetter mix.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You should really check your cooling system over. Check the pressure it can hold, check for corrosion and be sure your impeller is in good shape. I had my 360 exc boil over twice in the time I had it on REALLY hot Texas days while running in the woods.

I'm pretty sure your seals can be replaced without splitting the cases.

dkmccarty5

Aug 30, 2000
Drain the gear box oil and inspect for contamination. If the oil is "milky" chances are the water pump seal is bad. Easy fix. For the countershaft seal, get some 0.003" shim stock (local hardware store). Using an exacto knife or single edged razor blade, make a thin washer to go between the countershaft sprocket and the shaft bushing. If the bushing is worn/grooved, replace the bushing also.

Top Bottom