96' KDX 200 low RPM white smoke & oily exaust

Deeno

Apr 20, 2007
:bang: Have a problem with thick white smoke from a KDX 200 96' from 1/8 to 1/2 throttle untill I revs it and this cleans it out untill its back at idle to 1/2. This makes it very sluggish and a loss of tourque occurs in the bottom end. She has been given a complete overhaul, new piston, rings, cylinder cast iron (stock size), Boyesen dual stage reeds, new crank seals and bearings which were'nt in bad shape but still replaced. It still has white smoke prior to half throttle when the high RPMs clean it out and it runs clear. The packing will be replaced soon and the pilot jet is at #48 moving to a #45, and the main jet is moving from a #160 to #158, and the air filter is a new "Ready filter". Will my decrease in jetting solve my smoking at low RPMs? My power valve assembly has been removed cleaned and reassembled. The Top End rebuid was what I used as a refference so I believe that it is installed properly. The bike runs great wide open, but at idle once it has warmed up it seems to decrease to the point of stalling, I want to ride this thing, and I worried about possible damage, could this all be from improper timing or electrical issues. I need some input or things to try. Thankyou in advance.

john81chevy

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2005
My bike smokes very similar to yours. I have an 01 kdx 200 which smokes pretty bad throughout the RPM range when first started. It's get better when warm, but always smokes more than I think it should (running smokeless oil at 32:1). When it's revved out and I'm riding in the upper range it doesn't smoke as bad until you start putting around again, but it always runs very strong regardless of smoke amount. I am pretty sure I have a bad crankcase seal and this could possibly be my source of smoke. It is possible your new crankcase seal was damaged upon installation? Even so, mine still doesn't have the stalling issue. I agree with heino, it could be the carb settings.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Read the jetting thread before you start changing oil ratios. Simple jetting changes will clean up the burn and smoke less. Jetting takes a little time and careful thought but is not that difficult. Plus, you will like the way your bike runs when your done.

hulagun

Jul 11, 2006
OK, this sounds familiar. I am having similar issues.

I live at sea level. I was using 40:1 oil (Spectro 2T synthetic). '96 200 H with FMF Rev pipe, new Boyesen reeds, stock carb, cleaned and repacked pipe and silencer, and fresh properly rebuilt KIPS.

Been trying to cure a serious lack of low end response, and excessive white smoking. I leaned my carb out to a 42 pilot and a 150 main. It ran fast but still no bottom end, lots of smoking, and wouldnt idle. I talked to someone at FRP who said "Whoa. Cut back to 50:1 with that oil. Go back to the stock jetting and start over.". Yesterday I went riding at 3000 elevation. Since going up in elevation richens your mixture, and so does raising the oil mix ratio, I left the lean jetting in. All I changed was the oil mix, to 50:1. oh yeah, I also tossed the Champion NC4 plug and put in an NGK B8ES. Here's how it turned out:

- Bike still smoked. But looking at several friends 2 stroke bikes in the cold morning air, they all smoked a lot.

- Bike idled nicely. Big improvement. It didnt hold idle before. Hmm. Maybe the fresh plug?

- Bike still had almost no usable power in the first 1/3 turn of the throttle. I rode all morning using the upper 2/3 of the throttle. BUT...

- on single track, I COULD crawl up steep hills and lug the motor down an incredible amount. It just kept going. I was amazed.

- if I tried to use much throttle though, it really had a hit of power, spun the back tire or wheelied (not good on a slow steep uphill). I learned to just go, like a tank, and never stop on a hill!

CONCLUSION: more jet work needed but clearly my jetting needs to be richer, not leaner. I can't imagine this will help the smoking problem, but maybe the 50:1 mix will do that. For the power band issue, I may also try a flywheel weight if I can find one. And I think a pipe change will help move some power to the lower RPMs. According to FRP, the rev pipe is not a good match for a novice rider doing mostly single track. I'd have to agree. :nod: Anybody wanna buy a FMF Rev pipe?

Deeno

Apr 20, 2007
Electrical/KIPS sluggish

:think: First: How could you find out if your electrical system is working properly. Second: My KIPS is installed correctly but is sluggish on returnig to idle position. I think that it does'nt close off the main chamber thus causing some smoking issues force feeding the piston chamber with too much fuel coating my plug, also causing my exaust to throw oil, possibly. Could a new exaust advancer spring or a new advancer unit solve the problem

Thanks for your input,
Deeno

Top Bottom