Seaninnorcal

Feb 24, 2004
Hi all, After searching the forum (which is so great) I have not found a similar kick starter problem.

My problem is that the kick starter doesn't feel like it is engaging it's respective counter part until half way through the down stroke. When turning it over by hand it engages when abreast of the frame guard. I have ridden this bike (and love it) but only a hand full of times. My 15 yr old brothers does the most of the damage on that bike. So I am not exactly sure where the lever used to start turning the bike over.

It springs back fine and consistently and the gears seem hit in the same place each on each kick.

I have ordered a service manual, so it is on the way. But, if any one out there has printed info on the subject I would love to have a link. I found the parts diagram on the kawi site, but am still not sure if I have to remove that whole side cover and take everything around it off, or can I inspect it with just removing the kick starter?

Thanks in advance. -Sean

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Are you the original owner? If not, sounds as if someones brother-in-law's next door neighbor has been in there. You are on the right track. Get the book & take a look.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
You have to remove the right side cover and the clutch to get in there. Actually, I’m not totally sure about the clutch. I just disassembled my kickstarter today, but I was going to take the clutch off for other reasons so I just took it off first thing and did not mess around to see if the kickstarter shaft could be pulled with the clutch in place (but I doubt it).

Top Bottom